Newbie wondering about licensing costs...

And the IRS is always here to help you!!!

ROTFLMAO.

Reply to
CainHD

Why are yo arguing with me? I AGREE with you on this!

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Paul,

The question wasn't how to verify it. The question was whether it would be acceptable were there another source of insurance equal to that provided by the AMA which could be verified as solidly as the AMA. Quit reading into the issue! Unless of course, your goal is confusion of said issue!

Reply to
Fly Higher

Wasn't talking about UMA or Home owners JR. Again! Given an insurance equal to what the AMA provides. And assume it can be verified as easily and equally as the AMA's can. The question is, would said insurance be acceptable? By you? By the AMA?

My bet is it won't be simply because it will upset your and the AMA's apple cart! Your and Paul's intentional efforts to confuse the issue are proof enough of that.

membership!

Reply to
Fly Higher

So it IS a license of a sort. Big deal. How does that make joining the AMA more attractive to Average Joe Modeler? Average Joe Modeler "just wants to fly." Average Joe Modeler "will never attend or participate in a competition." To Average Joe Modeler, AMA membership isn't a license to do anything!

AMA is still not a license for what people popularly THINK it's a license for. You tell a prospective new member that he needs his "AMA license" to fly, and he immediately assumes it's a license to fly model airplanes. I know I did when I first started out, and now when I ask people what their AMA "license" is for, every single one says, "To fly model airplanes." AMA membership IS NOT A LICENSE TO FLY MODEL AIRPLANES!

Reply to
Mathew Kirsch

Me thinks that the idea of AMA licensing is propagated by the same people that call flyers without said licenses "outlaws". Sometimes this form of intimidation works most effectively.

Me, I have my "AMA License" and intend on keeping one around for a long time to come, but not because of intimidation. Simply put, it is a tradition that is worth preserving. Besides, without the fabulous income provided by the AMA for its top officers, Dave Brown would have to get a real job (wink).

Ed Cregger, AMA #73846

Reply to
Ed Cregger

By me? I have zero input. By the AMA? Except for sanctioned events, they have zero input. It is a club decision.

When it comes to sanctioned events, it's my opinion that the AMA should be able to dictate whatever terms it likes. It is there sanction, isn't it?

JR

governmental

Reply to
JR

If the hare had not stopped to take a nap, would he have won the race with the turtle?

JR

membership!

Reply to
JR

All I am saying is that as long as the majority of the clubs out there are AMA chartered, why even bring up any other insurance source for use at AMA chartered clubs?

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

There is no intentional effort to confuse the issue. READ MY POST. There is no insurance system like you describe and even if there was, why would one insurer want to have to go to court every time a claim was made? The AMA agrees to provide a LOT of insurance for the money if everyone agrees to go along with it.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

| Doug McLaren wrote: | | > 1. | > 1. Official or legal permission to do or own a specified thing. | > 2. A document, plate, or tag that is issued as proof of official or | > legal permission: a driver's license. | > | | You dont need an AMA card to own or fly anything.

That is correct. That you responded to only this part of my post stating such suggests that you didn't read my post very carefully :)

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Reply to
jim breeeyar

| What verifiable form of insurance? A homeowners policy that may or may not | be in force? Are yougoing to read every policy on event day to verify that | it covers model aircraft activity? Are you going to hire the lawyer to do | it for you? HELL NO. You will require AMA and let it go at that. This is | a hobby for 99% of us and there is NO reason to make it harder or more | complex than it is.

From what I've seen, the AMA insurance is pretty spotty as well.

After all, it explictly doesn't cover you if you're breaking their safety rules. I've no beef with their safety rules -- most are common sense and good ideas, but the idea that if you miss one you're not covered is pretty scary. For example, if I forget to put my name and number on a plane, and it hurts somebody, the AMA could refuse to pay my claim. Or using a Hitec Spectra module in a Futaba transmitter could cause this as well (judging from what I've seen here.)

I believe that my auto insurance will not pay if I use my car to commit a felony, but I won't usually `forget' to not commit a felony. Certainly, if I'm stupid enough to drive drunk and cause an accident, my insurance will still pay (they'll probably cancel right after, but they'll still pay.)

Fortunately, my homeowner's policy also covers my R/C activities, and can't refuse to pay just because I broke a minor rule.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

You think tha's bad? In the UK if you replace a part on your car or motorcycle with parts not specifically approved for street use on that vehicle and your insurance will not pay out. Changing your muffler can void your insurance!

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Ed, you mean that when some guy breaks into my house, finds himself staring into the business end of anyone of over a dozen different types of big holes, that it won't do me any good to make him sign me as beneficiary, just before I let daylight through him!!! Jus' Durn it to shucks, a fella' jus' can't make an honest $$$ anymore.

Drats!!

HC

Reply to
CainHD

I know it sounds ridiculously obvious, but I have had to explain this policy to several families during my stint as an insurance agent. What a world.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

So you chose to hiss and spit at me when I said that your AMA membership is not a license, implying, "to fly model airplanes." It isn't. Never has been. Never will be. You shouted back that AMA membership IS a license, a license to PARTICIPATE IN EVENTS. As if that makes even a miniscule difference to Average Joe Modeler.

You too, eh?

Reply to
Mathew Kirsch

So you chose to hiss and spit at me when I said that your AMA

IS, IS, IS (stamping feet lilke a 5 year old)

:)

Reply to
JR

Red,

Kevie will never stop being the premier critic of the AMA no matter how many times he attempts hiding his identity.

Regards,

Reply to
Herb Winston

Hmmm! I thought you had provided us with that demonstration some time ago!

Wait! Is that the sound flat feet?

Reply to
Fly Higher