Shrike 1/2A electric question

Anyone flown a the Lanier 1/2 A Shrike using electric power? I recently completed one with the intention of flying at the local school yard while my son flies his SuperStar EP. Each attempt at flight has resulted in a short

30 - 50 yard flight eventually stalling straight ahead into the ground. I hand launch it from a slight hill of about 20 feet with a very firm toss. I am using a 6v speed 400 motor with an ElectriFly C-20 and a 7 cell 1000mAh Ni-MH battery. I have tried 5.5X4.5, 6X3, and 7X3 props. My unscientific(sitting on postage scales) static test shows about 5 oz. of thrust with each prop. The plane weighs 17.5 oz. which is on the high side but within the published specification of 11 - 19 oz. The motor was gently broken in and the battery was cycled 5 times. The C/G is dead on according to the plans. Anyone have any advice of what I am doing wrong?
Reply to
Mike Fryer

Sounds like the power is very marginal. Are you letting it build up any speed before trying to climb, or is it losing speed even in a level flight? You'd probably be good to go with an 8 cell pack, one cell can make a big power difference.

Good Luck, Phill

Reply to
PCPhill

After tossing from about 20 feet I let it decend to about 10 feet then held level. It will only hold level flight for about 50 yards at 10 feet. I'll give the 8 cell a try.

Thanks!

Reply to
Mike Fryer

Keep us posted! You could also try a gearbox swinging a bigger prop, but the battery upgrade is a simpler fix if it works.

Phill

Reply to
PCPhill

which NIMH batteries are you using? Some of them are not up to the demand of a good speed 400 motor. If you have access to nicads, try a

7 or 8 cell pack of 600 mah.

I personally have had good luck with 1100 mah HECELL NIMH.

cheers astroflyer

park flyer plans

astroflyer

Try an 8-cell pack of KAN1050s from

I've had good results with these on a Zagi. The packs are ruggedly built, already come with Deans ultra plugs, are "zapped", and perform much like NiCds of the same size except you can fly longer. The other alternative is to go high dollar and get a LiPoly pack.

Reply to
Morris Lee