Stearman

Hi folks!
I'm playing with the idea of building a giant scale Stearman PT-17.
Actually, I already decided that I want to build one, but I have no
specific information yet as how big to build, what engine to use...
Are there any really good scale kits for a Stearman? Or plans?
I was thinking to build as big as 2meters spanwidth, perhaps 2.2.
What kind of engine should I use? How big...? Would a 2.5cu.in.
be enough? Would it be ok to use a gas engine like the US-41?
It's a lot cheaper running a gas engine than running a nitro engine...
Well, any input is greatly aprpeciated!
Thanks,
Bernardo
Reply to
Bernardo
Check this out on eBay:
116" WS, 1/3 scale Stearman PT-17
Alan Harriman
Reply to
Alan Harriman
Check out the Balsa USA website PT-17
Tom B.
Reply to
Bubb
Thanks a lot for the link, Alan! Looks like an interesting project... But as I said, I'd like to build it on my own, preferably from scratch.
Thanks anyway! Bernardo
Reply to
Bernardo
Nick Ziroli has two PT-17 designs, a 77" and an 87" version.
You can get an excellent wood kit from the folks at
for about $350.
Cheers, Fred McClellan The House Of Balsa Dust
Fred McClellan
Flair got a very impressive kit: see M.A.N. Dec2003 issue. Link to
Greetings,
Jan
Reply to
prophanger
Here's a thought for an engine

Steve
Look at Nick Ziroli plans. He flies a beauty he built with a Robart Radial engine. Good Luck, keep usup to date on what you do and how it goes. Andy
We can make a box of wood.....FLY!!
Reply to
RCPILOT48
Thanks a lot guys for all the links and input! I fell in love with Nick Ziroli's design ... I'm not yet sure if I want to buy a Kit or build from scratch. As a student I'malways short of money... So I thought that buildling from scratch might be better since I can buy wood and materials as I need them. For now, I'm getting Nick's plans and we'll see what comes next. I still have to find the right place to build a giant scale airplane. My dorm room is surely not the right place for a 2.50meter airplane.
Thanks a lot again! I'll keep you guys updated! Bernardo
Reply to
Bernardo
I'm going to take flak for this but, since you are obviously a student, let me make a suggestion. Forget about the plane. At least for the time being don't do more than think about it. Concentrate on your studies. I know, all work and no play and all that but, this is a major project that will monopolize your time in short order.
Finish school first. Get established in your career and then, you'll soon have the space to build it properly. I stepped out of the hobby when I hit college. Now, three degrees and a very successful career later, I'm back! In my early 40's and fully retired.
Chuck
Reply to
C.O.Jones