Stearman

Hi folks!

I'm playing with the idea of building a giant scale Stearman PT-17. Actually, I already decided that I want to build one, but I have no specific information yet as how big to build, what engine to use... Are there any really good scale kits for a Stearman? Or plans? I was thinking to build as big as 2meters spanwidth, perhaps 2.2. What kind of engine should I use? How big...? Would a 2.5cu.in. be enough? Would it be ok to use a gas engine like the US-41? It's a lot cheaper running a gas engine than running a nitro engine...

Well, any input is greatly aprpeciated! Thanks, Bernardo

Reply to
Bernardo

Check this out on eBay:

116" WS, 1/3 scale Stearman PT-17

Alan Harriman

Reply to
Alan Harriman

Check out the Balsa USA website PT-17

Tom B.

Reply to
Bubb

Thanks a lot for the link, Alan! Looks like an interesting project... But as I said, I'd like to build it on my own, preferably from scratch.

Thanks anyway! Bernardo

Reply to
Bernardo

Nick Ziroli has two PT-17 designs, a 77" and an 87" version.

You can get an excellent wood kit from the folks at
for about $350.

Cheers, Fred McClellan The House Of Balsa Dust

Fred McClellan

Flair got a very impressive kit: see M.A.N. Dec2003 issue. Link to

Greetings,

Jan

Reply to
prophanger

Reply to
Steve

Look at Nick Ziroli plans. He flies a beauty he built with a Robart Radial engine. Good Luck, keep usup to date on what you do and how it goes. Andy

We can make a box of wood.....FLY!!

Reply to
RCPILOT48

Thanks a lot guys for all the links and input! I fell in love with Nick Ziroli's design ... I'm not yet sure if I want to buy a Kit or build from scratch. As a student I'malways short of money... So I thought that buildling from scratch might be better since I can buy wood and materials as I need them. For now, I'm getting Nick's plans and we'll see what comes next. I still have to find the right place to build a giant scale airplane. My dorm room is surely not the right place for a 2.50meter airplane.

Thanks a lot again! I'll keep you guys updated! Bernardo

Reply to
Bernardo

I'm going to take flak for this but, since you are obviously a student, let me make a suggestion. Forget about the plane. At least for the time being don't do more than think about it. Concentrate on your studies. I know, all work and no play and all that but, this is a major project that will monopolize your time in short order.

Finish school first. Get established in your career and then, you'll soon have the space to build it properly. I stepped out of the hobby when I hit college. Now, three degrees and a very successful career later, I'm back! In my early 40's and fully retired.

Chuck

Reply to
C.O.Jones