acad Mechanical 2004 screen menu

I've just switched to acad Mechanical 2004 from acad 2000 I still us the screen menu on the right side of the screen but it always disappears (the
menu area is there but no menu commands are visible) I can get them back by using two fullscreen commands, this only works until I reload acad, any suggestions would be appreciated.

This is known to happen if you close all drawings and then close AutoCAD.