Cone geometry question

Hi Im trying to create a cone with the top cut off, im sure there is a proper name object, I need to draw it in Autocad then cut it out from paper and assemble it as a 3D model. I know the diameter top and bottom and the slant length but I cant figure out how to calculate the radius of the 2 arcs which will wrap around the 2 circles. I have uploaded a picture of what I mean.

Thanks in advance Bob

Reply to
BoB

I think it's called a frustrun. Try that in google.

Reply to
strawberry

i mean frustrum. sorry

Reply to
strawberry

This thread should help:

or

-----

Ben Bradley

HINT: The radius of the arc for the upper end of the frustum (the term for a truncated cone) will be the distance from the apex (point) of the cone (if there were one) to a point on the circumference. The length of the arc will be the circumference at the top of the frustum. ___

Reply to
Paul Turvill

Hi Paul Thanks for that, it makes perfect sense now, the radius is from the apex, I tried it, works perfect, thanks to Ben and strawberry too.

Bob

Reply to
BoB

to calc the radius you need to know the angle and the arc length. that is easy create a pline and do a list on each arc. the formula for the radius is then

R= arclength/angle of arc

LouR

Reply to
LouR

sorry i mis lead you: the formula for R = .01745 x angle of arc / arc length.

LouR

Reply to
LouR

It's much simpler than that. As I posted earlier, the arc radius is simply the distance from the apex of the cone to any point on the curcumference of the top of the frustum. The length of the arc is the circumference at the top of the frustum. ___

Reply to
Paul Turvill