Copying leaders - sometimes successful, sometimes not.

On some dwgs, when I make a spline leader with annotation, if I copy it to
another dwg of similar nature (sometimes a copy of same), I can 'copy with
base point' and have the leader retain the associative properties of leader
and text.
HOWEVER -
Sometimes it doesn't work. Namely, in some cases, if I paste in a leader
and drag the text, the spline doesn't strech to meet it like in the
original.
In the cases where it didn't work, some were COPIES of the original dwg.
Any idea what settings may cause this to fail in some situations?
Reply to
StarMan