Developing Plug-Ins

I'm cruising the AutoDesk website looking for information about = developing add-ins / plug-ins for AutoCAD, and after half an hour of = poking around I'm not getting any closer to the information I'm = interested in.

#1: What's the minimum AutoCAD platform requirement for developing = plug-ins? Can I get by with a demo version of AutoCAD, or do I have to = spring for one of the more expensive versions -- and if so, which one?

#2: Is it even possible to develop a simple plug-in for AutoCAD, or are = there only certain combinations/permutations of AutoCAD that work with = plug-ins? I'm on the AutoDesk website right now and it looks like there = are at least two or three dozen flavors of AutoCad, and another dozen = API's / toolkits / etc.!

All I need to do is (a) add a menu to the AutoCAD menu bar and (b) = interface to the document/file open and save commands. Just hoping I = can get what I need without having to spend $10K - $20K on applications = and toolkits. :-)

Any assistance with this would be appreciated!

Jerry H.

Reply to
Jerry Hewett

You have at least three choices:

  1. ObjectARX/C++ most powerful, hardest some would say
  2. LISP longtime availability - should work across mant versions
  3. VBA possibly great for interaction with other applications like MS Office

ObjectARX is available at

You should be able to use a demo version of AutoCAD. You can also join the ADN for support and frequent software updates.

Good luck,

Henrik Vallgren Stretchable 3D in AutoCAD/AutoCAD LT:

"Jerry Hewett" skrev i meddelandet news:nujlb.455$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net... I'm cruising the AutoDesk website looking for information about developing add-ins / plug-ins for AutoCAD, and after half an hour of poking around I'm not getting any closer to the information I'm interested in.

#1: What's the minimum AutoCAD platform requirement for developing plug-ins? Can I get by with a demo version of AutoCAD, or do I have to spring for one of the more expensive versions -- and if so, which one?

#2: Is it even possible to develop a simple plug-in for AutoCAD, or are there only certain combinations/permutations of AutoCAD that work with plug-ins? I'm on the AutoDesk website right now and it looks like there are at least two or three dozen flavors of AutoCad, and another dozen API's / toolkits / etc.!

All I need to do is (a) add a menu to the AutoCAD menu bar and (b) interface to the document/file open and save commands. Just hoping I can get what I need without having to spend $10K - $20K on applications and toolkits. :-)

Any assistance with this would be appreciated!

Jerry H.

Reply to
Henrik Vallgren

Thanks for the assist, Henrik! :-)

I'll be developing in C++, so this is probably the one I'll start with, = although...

...I might take a look at this one as well, to see if it has an = OCX/ActiveX server library (easiest to use from the MFC).

It looks like they've moved the link (which was inactive, btw) to a = keyed servlet, so you have to scrounge around a bit to find it. I = noticed there are three different SDK's available (2000i, 2002, and =

2004) -- do I need to download all three, or will the most recent one be = good enough?

Jerry H.

Reply to
Jerry Hewett

Most of ObjectARX2002 works for AutoCAD 2000, 2000i and 2002. For AutoCAD

2004 you'll need ObjectARX2004. Use MS VC6 for 2002 development and VC .net 2002 for 2004. Be sure to install the arx wizard - it can be quite helpful.

Best Regards,

Henrik Vallgren