(more) Help with Attributes

Does anyone know if AutoCAD has a setvar command that displays attributes in a certain colour? I have edited several drawings where attributes within
blocks are a certain colour, but cannot be changed.
I know it can be done manually by using the '-ATTEDIT' command, but this is time consuming (when you have hundreds of blocks).
I have also tried redefining the block with new properties for the attribute (bylayer & bycolour), but the colours of the attributes in the drawing do not update to the new colour. :-(. This only happens in certain drawings.
Anyone with any ideas?
PS I am using AutoCAD2000.