object rotate

Hello all, I have a question about something I'm trying to accomplish in a drawing. I would like to rotate or a window vertically around its center to view it at a 45 degree angle. I am drawing windows in a 45 degree wall (when viewed in the elevation). The window that is on the flat wall is normal size, but the windows on the

45 degree wall are smaller in width because of the viewing angle. If I insert a block of a window, is there some way of spinning this block to align with the 45 degree view.

thank you steve

Reply to
Cudaman

HiHo; You have two options.

1.0 ALIGN is a command that will align a object with some other object. 2.0 ROTATE if one picks the midpoint of said window and enters the rotation angle. Remember, the window must be drawn in 3d.

Reply to
bestafor

I'm only guessing that you are drawing a 2D ELEVATION, and that you are using an elevation block that is designed to been seen perpendicular to the projection and in this case it won't work because it needs to be squashed horizontally because the wall is oblique to the view.

I don't like to use blocks for window elevations for a number of reasons, but if you must, you could scale the block in the X dimension by the cosine of the angle of the wall to the projection. In this case that's

0.707168.......

If you are picky (like me) you'll be unhappy with the results of doing this because windows are not flat, and scaling them like this leaves them the right size, but inaccurate representations of a window viewed on an angle. How bad this is depends on the scale of the drawing.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

If it's a block and you're only concerned with a 2D drawing, you can scale the X differently. I think it would be half, but I'd have to check to make sure.

....someone say orthographic projection?

Reply to
TomD

If your problem is getting the window to come out to it's correct height and width when viewed not normal to the 45 degree wall try using an insertion x scale factor of .71 while maintaining a y scale factor of 1.

Reply to
Chuck

Glad I covered my butt on that scale! ;)

Would you mind elaborating? How do you mean "inaccurate representations".........just curious as heck.

Reply to
TomD

Now that I've given that more than a split second of thought, I'm embarassed.......lol. Nothing like taking a simple problem and complicated.

Reply to
TomD

Well.....windows are materials in a series of planes, most of them orthogonal, some further 'out', some recessed further 'back', and some perpendicular to the wall in which they are installed. When viewed on an oblique some of the edges that were perpendicular to a view straight-on, and so drawn with merely a single line, are now a visible oblique plane needing two lines to be depicted. Further, the protruding intersections of these planes start to obscure parts of other planes that would be fully visible in a 'square' view. In a masonry wall, the biggest of these would be the masonry reveal. The leading edge of the masonry opening will hide many, even all, of the window frame profiles depending on the numbers. So a window elevation block that was merely differentially scaled, would show things that should be hidden, and fail to show things that should be visible. Just last week an interior designer with whom I am working on a complex house called me "picky" for accurately visualizing materials and assemblies from angles that weren't drawn. (I took this as a compliment) I'm sure many in the business would consider the above points about drafting "picky" only not with the same tone, but accurately drafting things in elevation that are not orthogonal is very laborious.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Thanks for elaborating. Not doing that type work, I was really curious about what wouldn't be accurate.....that certainly explained it.

As for being picky, I'd say it's a compliment, too. I was teaching a guy some things about Acad one day and when he saw me snapping text perpindicular and parallel to objects, he said "you mean you actually make them parallel?". I didn't even understand the question, at first. My gut reaction was "shouldn't it be parallel?". lol

It's a sign of you professionalism, IMO. ;)

Reply to
TomD

Right back 'atchya.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Hello everyone, I just want to say thanks for all the responses that were posted here, I have tried all the ideas that were posted and it seems that "CHUCK" had the easiest way and probably the end result I was looking for. When I get better at Autocad, I'll define my drawing skills, but for now, this should do it. Thanks again everyone.

elevation).

Reply to
Cudaman