Re: Learning 3-D drawing

spend about 10 hours a day, for a couple years drawing everything you can get your hands on

Reply to
Longshot

Haha. That's more or less what I did, although it wasn't years. I drew a bathroom I was planning at the time in 3d. The faucet, the stopper, the showerhead, the pedestal sink, the toilet, the door, it's hinges, latch and strike plate, the doorknob, the medicine cabinet (with swinging door), bottles of stuff in the cabinet, a shower curtain with rings, rod and flanges, not to mention the walls, floors, baseboards, windows with casings, venetian blinds etc. This was in r11 on a 386 machine....kajunk-kajunk-kajunk. I would do a hide, go to bed, and wake up in the morning to find the machine still halfway through the regen.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

you know nospam, he might sound like he's being a jerk, but he's got a point. i'd bet dollars to cents if you asked most people hear how they did it, they'd give the same answer.

in otherwords, practice makes perfect.

Reply to
Adam B

Sounds familiar.

John B

johnbogie btinternet.com Put the "at" in the gap.

Reply to
john

All too familiar.. I hated haing to try and work out whether or not the computer had crashed or not!¬!!!!!

Reply to
Daniel J. Ellis

Michael Bulatovich schrieb:

I can feel with you. I know this too ...

Juergen

Reply to
Jürgen Palme

Yeah, you're right. It used to be a lot tougher.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

I started doing 3D in R10 on a '286. I tended to make solid-appearing entities by generating 2D entities and giving hem thickness. Then the HIDE command would give me almost proper results.

It was about that time that I started getting into LISP. While I would have loved a faster computer, I learned to love a dog-slow computer.

How?

Well, it ran slowly enough that I could watch the routines run, so I had some hint as to how it was going and where the problems might be occuring. Back in those days, I didn't feel the need for error checking or to test for results. Yes, it was bad or me to get used to that, but as soon as I got a faster computer, I learned the importance of more proper code.

-- "Who we are and who we become depends, in part, on whom we love."

-- "A General Theory Of Love" Thanks, Mom ______________________________________________________________ Glen Appleby snipped-for-privacy@armory.com

Reply to
Glen Appleby

Back when I started, if you wanted it in 3D, we took the drawing off the board and started folding it up like Origami.. 3D.. Pfft.. Blasphemy!!

One tip about 3D... 3dcafe.com... Go there all the time and look at thier free stuff and download it all!! Absolutely NO SENSE creating something that some poor guy has already created!!

Oh, and fancy fly-by/walk-throughs, forgeddabout it..

Paul Jordan Anchorage, AK

Reply to
Paul Jordan

Very true. We learn how to pile blocks on top of each other when we're infants without formalized training regimens. We do it by curiosity...by observing results...by memory. Learning does not require formalized instruction in classroom settings. If it did there would be no formalized learning. How did the first teachers set up the first schools? Who taught these first teachers? Just start selecting the 3-D objects and start playing with them. Make a cube...a sphere...a cone. Then cut them in half, then intersect them, etc. You can learn how these things are done by referring to the program manual, or the program help file when necessary. Once you learn what actions result in what outcomes, you'll use this naturally acquired ability to draw things in a planned manner.

Reply to
Screwball McGee

And by using AutoCAD to learn with, you will really appreciate a good solid modeler when you move up.

Reply to
CW

You never miss an opportunity to make this obsurd comparison. Sort of like saying "If you learn to tables with Word, you'll love moving up dot

123."

hehehehe........couldn't help it, it's just so silly.

Reply to
TomD

Not sure what this whole thread is about, but wanted to chime with a big 'ole "I agree", here. I have no formalized training in Acad and work circles around most. I don't consider myself a bonified guru, but I'm pretty damn good at what I do.

Nothing matters more than your own effort and desire. If you care enough to want to be good, and are willing to invest some of your own time to learn, you'll be fine. It may take a little longer to get noticed, but it happens.

Reply to
TomD

why do they only notice after you are gone ??

Reply to
Longshot

Nothing absurd about it. I have seen far to many people stick with AutoCAD and waste there time simply because they have been misled my advertising hype. If you need something better, it's out there.

Reply to
CW

Reply to
TomD

LOL.........not sure, but I know it to be a fact. An old engineer I worked with some years ago told me that to get better pay in this business, you have to go to a different company. Even if you like the company, leave, then come back.

Those words have proven very wise, in my experience. I'm currently serving my second tour with my current employer, served three with my previously employer.

Reply to
TomD

True.

Reply to
CW

Unfortunatly, that seems to be very true.

Reply to
CW