Re: Learning 3-D drawing

spend about 10 hours a day, for a couple years drawing everything you can get your hands on

Haha. That's more or less what I did, although it wasn't years. I drew a bathroom I was planning at the time in 3d. The faucet, the stopper, the showerhead, the pedestal sink, the toilet, the door, it's hinges, latch and strike plate, the doorknob, the medicine cabinet (with swinging door), bottles of stuff in the cabinet, a shower curtain with rings, rod and flanges, not to mention the walls, floors, baseboards, windows with casings, venetian blinds etc. This was in r11 on a 386 machine....kajunk-kajunk-kajunk. I would do a hide, go to bed, and wake up in the morning to find the machine still halfway through the regen.
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.com

Sounds familiar.
John B
johnbogie btinternet.com Put the "at" in the gap.
All too familiar.. I hated haing to try and work out whether or not the computer had crashed or not!!!!!!
DJE
wrote:

machine
Michael Bulatovich schrieb:

I can feel with you. I know this too ...
Juergen
Yeah, you're right. It used to be a lot tougher.

Back when I started, if you wanted it in 3D, we took the drawing off the board and started folding it up like Origami.. 3D.. Pfft.. Blasphemy!!
One tip about 3D... 3dcafe.com... Go there all the time and look at thier free stuff and download it all!! Absolutely NO SENSE creating something that some poor guy has already created!!
Oh, and fancy fly-by/walk-throughs, forgeddabout it..
Paul Jordan Anchorage, AK

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 16:20:39 -0400, in alt.cad.autocad,"Michael

I started doing 3D in R10 on a '286. I tended to make solid-appearing entities by generating 2D entities and giving hem thickness. Then the HIDE command would give me almost proper results.
It was about that time that I started getting into LISP. While I would have loved a faster computer, I learned to love a dog-slow computer.
How?
Well, it ran slowly enough that I could watch the routines run, so I had some hint as to how it was going and where the problems might be occuring. Back in those days, I didn't feel the need for error checking or to test for results. Yes, it was bad or me to get used to that, but as soon as I got a faster computer, I learned the importance of more proper code.
-- "Who we are and who we become depends, in part, on whom we love." -- "A General Theory Of Love" Thanks, Mom ______________________________________________________________ Glen Appleby snipped-for-privacy@armory.com <HTTP://www.armory.com/~glena/
you know nospam, he might sound like he's being a jerk, but he's got a point. i'd bet dollars to cents if you asked most people hear how they did it, they'd give the same answer.
in otherwords, practice makes perfect.

can
And by using AutoCAD to learn with, you will really appreciate a good solid modeler when you move up.

CW wrote:

You never miss an opportunity to make this obsurd comparison. Sort of like saying "If you learn to tables with Word, you'll love moving up dot 123."
hehehehe........couldn't help it, it's just so silly.
Nothing absurd about it. I have seen far to many people stick with AutoCAD and waste there time simply because they have been misled my advertising hype. If you need something better, it's out there.

I would object to the implication that Acad is a 3D modelling application. It simply is not. That's the absurd comparison, IMO, of course.
CW wrote:

True.

Screwball McGee wrote: <SNIPPED>

Not sure what this whole thread is about, but wanted to chime with a big 'ole "I agree", here. I have no formalized training in Acad and work circles around most. I don't consider myself a bonified guru, but I'm pretty damn good at what I do.
Nothing matters more than your own effort and desire. If you care enough to want to be good, and are willing to invest some of your own time to learn, you'll be fine. It may take a little longer to get noticed, but it happens.

why do they only notice after you are gone ??
Longshot wrote:

LOL.........not sure, but I know it to be a fact. An old engineer I worked with some years ago told me that to get better pay in this business, you have to go to a different company. Even if you like the company, leave, then come back.
Those words have proven very wise, in my experience. I'm currently serving my second tour with my current employer, served three with my previously employer.
Unfortunatly, that seems to be very true.
An old engineer I