Re: Why doesn't anybody send me their ctb files?

Chuck wrote:

>> I'm not sure why people assign pen widths to the ctb file rather than >> assigning lineweights to the layers. > >Same here. In fact, I can't understand why so many have stuck with the >CTB at all. Since it's no longer necessary to tie color to pens, why do >so? Just seems terribly silly.

Here's a link to a cadalyst.com article about the subject:

'm going to try the stb method, but I don't think it'll be compatible with the way our main client creates their drawings.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

I agree. The whole idea of flexiblility just flys out the window, when people stay attached to the color. Not to mention, overcomplicating their lives. Thanks for the link, I know some people I would like to pass it on to....back up my pleading with them for the Named Styles.

Val

Reply to
Val Cason

I tried the stb method on our client's title sheet. The only problem was with their logo, some of which is supposed to come out grey & some of which is supposed to come out black. I just had to redefine the block & it worked. Of course, if I had used a jpeg of their logo, this wouldn't have been a problem. I'm just worried about the surveys we get. The surveyors we use tend not to follow the standards too strictly :( Then again, to set up the plotting styles for each layer, you just open the layer dialogue box, sort by colour & assign the plot style to groups of layers.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

One question about stb plotting: If I use pack'n'go on a drawing set up for stb plotting, it includes the stb file. I thought the reason for named plot styles was to eliminate the need for the ctb file. What's the difference if I have to include the stb file?

Chris

Reply to
Chris

no, it does eliminate it at all unless, someone uses a stock ctb or stb, with no changes. You still have to use a file of some sort. The difference is just the methodology. Plotting by color or setting up styles.

Reply to
Val Cason

I deal with surveyors who have been using AutoCAD for many years. They started using pen plotters, where color associations with pens were the only ways to obtain different line weights. The surveyors have become set in their ways since, "why fix it if it isn't broken". Their work differs only slightly from job to job, and they usually don't have many layers, so assigning colors to pens still works. Also, when they set up jobs, they start with assigned associations, so why not continue with the method? Additionally, they rarely use polylines, so their drawing files are smaller. To me, it's a pain in the ass.

Reply to
JACK Goldstein