Req: 3D solids <==> 2D patterns

Hi
I'm designing some sculptures based on intersecting cones at different angles using AutoCAD 2002 "solids" tools. I'd like to fabricate my
models from sheet steel. Is there an AutoCAD routine which will "unwrap" a selected 3D surface into a 2D pattern, so that I can then cut this pattern out of steel and bend it to recreate the 3D model.
Also, reversing the above process, is there a routine which will allow you to take a 2D surface in AutoCAD and allow you to apply it and "wrap it around" a solid of defined dimensions ?
If there's an existing AutoCAD command, downloadable LISP routine or a 3rd party software package that will do this, , I would be most interested to know.
Many thanks in anticipation
Dave.
Unless 2002 is a _lot_ more powerful than 2000, bare AutoCAD can't do any of that.
Rhinoceros can. Its 'trim' tool works on intersecting cones, and it can unwrap any developable surface.
As for wrapping a surface around a solid, I'm a little fuzzy on the details, but I think I've seen it done in Rhino.
-Mike-
Many thanks Mike !
I'll check out Rhino's web site.
Regards
Dave
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnospam (Mike Halloran) wrote in message

Try out my unfolding program from www.black-cad.de Good luck! Jochen

Thanks Jochen Looks interesting !! Best wishes Dave