Latest threads in ⚒ Blacksmithing - wrought iron and steel discussionsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Chuck key was bent into a pretzel
First ever blacksmithing project of mine used a O/A torch for heating. misc ==> Anvil ==> Straightening Chuck Key
52
52

we need sulphur concrete for knife repair
Hello! We need for the repair of special knives "sulphur concrete" but a little shop where we bought it until now is closed because the owner is dead. Now we are not able to find a supply. Does...
7
7

Junkyard steel anyone?
Just to say something in "Blacksmithing" so you don't think the list is dead, here's a link to a list of steels found in the scrap heap and a good quess as to what material it is. I know many of you...

OT: Is it Ebay or Norton that is broken?
I tried to cruise Ebay this morning and all of a sudden, Norton tells me that is blocked a "Risk" and so I can't sort a search anymore. Any click I make on Ebay gets me a similar message from Norton....
3
3

Using oxygen/acetylene to heat up parts
Trying to keep this group a little bit active... I do not really have space or wish to have a yeat another big thing like a coal forge. I got myself an anvil recently: weighs 340 lbs, and I want to...
10
10

I can only see expired articles... definitely wierd
THei is just a test to see if I can get anything through :-(
4
4

Nothing here on my server
What happoned?
4
4

Stainless smithing
Has anyone tried to smith stanless steels? They should be harder at higher temperatures, but does that make smithing more difficult ? What is the correct way of tempering, if I want to keep it...
3
3

Shifting Fork info for old style LG 50 Pound Trip Hammer, anybody?
FYI, I just sorta "documented" the shifting fork for an old style 50# LG for Mike Z, west of Mpls.. If anybody happens to need the data, I can supply it easily. Apparently, Sid (Little Giant)doesn't...

PICTURES and some info on that military anvil
anvil is 33 inches long and weighs approximately 340 lbs. I tried to measure rebound by dropping a 1 inch diameter hard bearing ball on it and measuring how high it would rebound. My best attempts at...
9
9

Tom Clark Passes
From Paul Moffett I have just been informed by Don Neuenswander via Bob Alexander that Tom Clark died yesterday (Saturday November 8) after a long battle with cancer. I am told that there will not be...

"Mechanical Forging Aids and Forge Welding" ---
The Badger Blacksmiths club met at my place (in western WI, USA) two weeks ago and I was the main demonstrator. This email's subject was the topic. I demonstrated the old style Gade-Marx Treadle...
4
4

Making Damascus from chain?
What's YOUR process for making roller chain or saw chain "Damascus"? What do you do with it when you finally have a billet? What etching materials other than Ferric Chloride do you use and why? Pete...
1
1

masonry nails
Does anyone know what kind of steel the nails are made from? I have been making small wood carving tools out of them and have been asked that. Thank you Richard.
3
3

Carbon nanotechnology in an 17th century damascus sword
Interesting article about Wootz damascus steel at: of the remarks in the comment section will make you wonder about some people... Happy Hammering, Rob Wichita, KS
5
5