Acu Saw - Clear View and Work Stop

To All:

Here are a couple of items from Acu Saw that I saw while cruising around.

Acu Saw Clear View allows checking of tool setup and tool coolant delivery while the machine is running with the door closed.

A movable, work-locating device magnetically attracted to the side of machine vises. ============================================================

Reply to
BottleBob

I'm sure it's not rigid enough for you.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

Jon:

It could have it's uses. One being: If you were holding a small part by .040, you could stop off the side of the part, THEN push the stop down out of the way so you could mill the perimeter of your part down close to the top of your vise jaws. Another being: If you were machining a part that was sticking out of the side of the vise jaw so you could completely machine the end of the part. You'd stop your part, then you could move the stop easily out of the way so the stop wouldn't interfere with your end mill. Tends to make it easier than using a spacer, like a 1-2-3 block, gage pin, or whatever.

Reply to
BottleBob

Must be why I own something very similar then.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

I think we all own magnetic bases that could be adapted for this use in a pinch.

Reply to
BottleBob

Perhaps this type of magnet will meet your work stop rigidity requirements:

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
larryrozer

yea, not too bad.. I'd use it on aluminum, plastics, etc.. anything non-magnetic..

Reply to
tnik

Kind of hard to get that past the door wipers though.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

cruising around.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Good link, Bob. I was looking at buying an Exair Air Disk for keeping a clear spot on the window, but this looks like a better product. Let us know how it works!

Reply to
Joe788

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

I think Wes is talking about a CNC lathe. A lot of turning centers have very little clearance between the door and the main enclosure, so they have a wiper that wipes the window as you open the door.

Reply to
Joe788

What is the "something very similar" that you own? Are you talking about your flimsy "5 axis stop" that takes up as much table space as a second vise?

Reply to
Joe788

Joe:

Ahh, I see. I'm not so sure the "Clear View" window thing would be viable in a lathe in any case. The chance of stingy chips whipping around and catching the thin air delivery nozzle seem pretty great.

Reply to
BottleBob

How noisy is this? All the compressed air is probably creating a hissing noise. I don't know if I could take it all day. My machine has a spinning glass window that keeps it clear from chips and coolant. I love it specially when using coolant thru spindle when all is white but the spinning window. Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

Jerry:

Oh, I don't know. It would probably only take a small quantity of air to keep the "window" clear.

I would think an off switch would not be too hard to devise.

Well that sounds neat. What kind of machine is that?

Reply to
BottleBob

Bob, the spinning window can be had for any machine, but at a price substantially more than the product your linked, or the Exair Air Disk. I haven't bought any spin windows, because I really don't believe they'll stand up to the beating from aluminum chips at 8000+ sfm.

They range in price from $1600-$2000.

Reply to
Joe788

Any idea what caused it to get torn?

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

Reply to
jon_banquer

Reply to
Jerry

No, wipers to keep the damn cast iron crap mostly inside the machine. I did notice after posting the device was fairly shallow and wouldn't require too much wiper removal.

Sliding door on cnc lathe to put this in context.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

I think a push button air valve would be a good thing to have in circuit to keep the overloaded compressors happy. No reason to keep windo clean if no one is looking though it.

Spinning window? Got a picture? I gotta see that.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

We have to attach a strip of metal to our multiplex windows to keep the chips from chewing holes though the glass.

Wes

Reply to
clutch