All point bulletin for tool change macro

Group,
I have a customer who bought a machine from ANG machine sales who also is apparently the builder. Evidently they would buy machine components
and mix and match to build machines. What they did not do is save any of their tool change macros. The control locked up and the alarm said to erase memory to clear. The tool change macro's O9001 and O9002 were not protected. My first hope was to track down the builder. Did that but he was no help. Plan B is to find a similar machine and copy the macros. The machine is a Weapon model# JY-MV820, serial# ANG 0473-05. The control is a Fanuc OMD model# A02B-0099-B544, serial# E01501834. The tool changer is a carousel type. If anyone else has bought a machine like this I would advise making a back up copy of your tool change macros then kindly sending a copy to me. Thanks in advance.

This is one of the things I really hate about programmable components. It is amazing how one tiny piece that is programmable can turn an otherwise incredible machine into virtual scrap metal. I once used a couple of programmable DC drives, but ripped them all out after one failed several years down the road. The grief it gave me trying to get old programming software running on a new laptop etc. just took all the joy, and profit out of it.
Gary H. Lucas

Hey Gary,
I've done my homework on this one. Fanuc actually saved the day. The builder is out of business being plan "A", so I told the Fanuc tech he was plan "B", if he couldn't help me plan "C" would have been find a similar machine with a similar vintage control and copy the macro, blow on the dice, toss and hit cycle start and see what happens. I gave him the control serial# and he matched the machine model#. He happened to have a copy. I'll know tomorrow. The lesson I've learned from this experience is the lower the price of your Fanuc / Fillintheblank iron machine the more chance the tool changer requires a macro. The higher end Fanuc / Fillintheblank iron actually burns the toolchange process into an e-prom so a memory dump isn't catastrophic. If you have an O9001 and an O9002 program in your library I would advise you to look up the parameter that allows you to read O9000 programs so you can save and store in case of the 1 in 1 billion chance your Fanuc locks up and requires a memory dump to clear. Your machine is rendered a manual tool change machine if you don't.

You can never have too many backups. the place I work backs everything up every night to a tape drive. Doesn't matter one bit. I back up MY jobs about once a week to CD and take them home. If we have a server failure I could be the only one still able to work.
Gary H. Lucas
On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 13:54:00 GMT, Bill Roberto

I have 2 Amera-Seiki A3's with Fanuc 0i-MC controls and they use O9001 and O9002 for the tool change. It has 24 tool side mounted tool magazine/carousel where tool pot has to be rotated from vertical to horizontal and a cam box driven tool change arm. I don't know if that is similar to your arrangement?
Rocky
Rocky wrote:

It probably is. I was able to get copies of O9001 and O9002 from Fanuc. They were able to match the machine from the control serial#. It's probably a common generic program for an inexpensive Taiwanese or Indian setup.
Bill,
Hopefully people listen to you and don't have to learn the hard way. We should all back up our machine parameters as soon as it hits the floor and keep that as the baseline especially if we are purchasing used equipment.
We should not rely on a manufacturer to keep a parameter list for us, they should be treated as a safety net not as the responsible party. Machines seem to break at the worst possible time, we can be down forever or an extra couple of days if we have to wait for a manufacturer to find and forward a parameter list to us.
Tom
Bill Roberto wrote:

No but I can't help but ask why the interest in the tools? There has to be a good story there.
Wes S
Wes,
Curious myself about that one,
Tom