CNC Training - For Real! (I hope)

My mom concreted my room. And I was working only part time.
--

Mr. PV'd

Mae West (yer fav CongressShill) to the Gangster (yer fav Lobbyist):
โœ–
On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 01:15:40 -0400, "Proctologically Violatedฉฎ"
At least she did it while you were out?
--

-JN-

Add pictures here
โœ–

The way I see it he's limiting the pool of applicants and will totally lose a lot of real good people. That may have woke up to the fact that they need to do something different at age 20 or 21 maybe even older. I got a teenager that lives here who is making more than minimum wage working at Safeway stocking shelves. Yet I have watched him work on his brakes and struts on his car. If he doesn't know how to fix his car he reads or finds someone to point him in the right direction. This kid who really deserves a chance would have to pass it up because the pay is to low and if I hadn't let him move in here with my family he would be living out of his car. Now he has plans on going to college to be a mechanic and he just graduated HS this year. Also he learns something by watching me when I run the lathe or mill or weld. He already has part of the requirements. This is the type of kids that will fall through the cracks with low pay wages where you must live at home to be able to afford to live or own a car.
My thoughts.
Richard W.
Add pictures here
โœ–
Richard W. wrote:

Starting at 50 cents above minimum wage is perfectly acceptable. That's what mold maker apprentices start at now and what I started at as a apprentice pattern maker nearly 30 years ago.
If your kid can't afford to live on his own at the agreed to wage, too bad, nothing prevents him from temporarily supplementing his income with a second job.
--
Black Dragon

You have a deep appreciation of the arts and music.
โœ–

Bingo.
You mean no one had a ring in your nose?

How about three jobs, 24 unit quarters and two kids in diapers.
And now days, machinists are a burden to society.
You know, needing pay, benefits and retirement and all that rot.
Add pictures here
โœ–
Scott wrote:

All I had was desire to learn a trade knowing it would eventually provide me with a way to earn a decent living the rest of my life.

In the mid 80's after buying my first house at the ripe old age of 22 and having our second child a year later I worked two jobs for close to four years to make ends meet while my wife stayed at home and did her job as a domestic engineer.

Without machinists modern society doesn't exist.
--
Black Dragon

Kramer's Law:
โœ–

I suppose you're right, but night school machine shop class should be a part of the required training. I was required to go to school 2 nights a week and the class wasn't optional. Also things have changed since I was 20. Back in the 80's wages were frozen for about 12 years and most families needed 2 incomes to survive. I know this isn't true all over the country, but it is here. I think a lot of on this group couldn't afford to buy the house they now live, if they had to buy it today starting with nothing. Rents start at about $900 a month here.
Richard W.
Richard W.
Add pictures here
โœ–
Richard W. wrote:

So, this smart and resourceful and mechanically inclined HS graduate is working for "more than minimum wage" in a job that goes nowhere, and then he's going to pay money to train to be a mechanic.
Or, he can make $9.00 for just a month, to prove to me that he's a good worker. Then he gets $10.00, plus health and disability insurance, company bought uniforms, discounts on tools, and training that he doesn't have to pay for. After 5 more months of hard work and doing what I show him, he gets ANOTHER dollar raise, and starts serious training in things directly related to machining - still at company expense. By the end of 18 months (less if he works hard and learns quickly), he's at $12.00, plus insurance, plus uniforms, tool discounts, a 401K that matches 100% up to 3% of gross wages, PLUS training on the job, PLUS formal training at one of the local colleges if he needs it, and if he's doing well enough in the program to justify it.
So, here's what the kid should do. He should go to his boss at Safeway, and tell the boss that he wants to be making $12.00 within the next 18 months or less, he wants 5-10 hours a week of overtime (which I offer everybody), he wants Safeway to buy his work clothes, pay (100%) of his health insurance, buy him a disability policy, give him better than average assurances that he may never get laid off in his whole life, AND give him some extra money to go to school to learn to fix cars.
If the boss says yes, the kid's got a good job. If not, then you might want to rethink your opinion of my program. And if you're in SE Pennsylvania, and this is really a kid with some promise, you might want to suggest that he call me.
KG
Add pictures here
โœ–

It sounds pretty good to me, Kirk.
I think you're on the right track getting your hands on them young, that way they don't bring bad work habits into the place.
The most important factor of a long term employee is their personality and willingness/desire to learn and work hard. Anybody can learn machining. It's not rocket science. Having a bad attitude is something that almost never goes away. Your program looks like it should weed out the bad apples.
For example, I'd hire a high school drop-out off the street before I ever let JB step into my shop.....oh wait, JB *is* a high school drop- out off the street!
Add pictures here
โœ–
Joe788 wrote:

No kidding? You mean the street wouldn't have him either?
KG
Add pictures here
โœ–

Is 63 young enough to apply for a job working for you? :>
--
Remove "nospam" to get to me.

Add pictures here
โœ–

Can you grind a drill?
<ducking>
Add pictures here
โœ–

LOL What kind?
Reminds me of a kid I hired a long time ago. High school sophomore. Worked for me until he graduated. Went to Texas State Technical Institute in Waco for a 2 year program on machining. One of the classes was a general shop introduction type course. One of the things they were supposed to learn was how to grind a drill bit. Instructor comes by and asks Roy Lee if has ground the bit. Shows him the bit and the instructor says "you haven't ground it yet, it looks just like it did when I gave it to you." Roy Lee takes the bit from him, jams it into the grinder, shows him the mangled end, turns back to the grinder and proceeds to grind a new point. Instructor asks where he learned to do that. Roy tells him where he worked for the last 3 years and the instructor says "Well, you got an A in this course. I worked with your old boss for 2 years. He taught me well."
--
Remove "nospam" to get to me.

Add pictures here
โœ–
Alphonso wrote:

By the time they get to be that age, most people are too smart to want to work for a pain in the ass like me. Why do you think I'm looking for teenagers who don't know any better?
KG
Add pictures here
โœ–

Nope. What you're looking for are people who won't call you out on your never ending line of B.S. Your looking for the same kind of people that Tom Brewer and Joe 788 look for. The problem is that most people who don't have the guts to call you out for being a phony jerk that has lousy ideas don't usually make it as independent problem solvers.
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA
Add pictures here
โœ–

Nope. What you're looking for are people who won't call you out on your never ending line of B.S. Your looking for the same kind of people that Tom Brewer and Joe 788 look for. The problem is that most people who don't have the guts to call you out for being a phony jerk that has lousy ideas don't usually make it as independent problem solvers.
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA
Jon just why are you so full of hate? I don't think that I have ever seen this kind of stuff going on before to this degree.
Richard W.
Add pictures here
โœ–

Might have to do with how manufacturing is viewed by most people in this country.
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA
Add pictures here
โœ–
On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 15:25:06 -0700 (PDT), jon_banquer

No appreciation for a Banquer Scrapoholic?
Add pictures here
โœ–

Could be the I'm tired of watching this country go to "s" in most areas.
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA
Add pictures here
โœ–

Well Jon, we all sure that you are certainly doing your part!
Add pictures here
โœ–