CNC Training - For Real! (I hope)

Good work Kirk!!! I heard this over the weekend........ on National Paranoid Radio http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=106513632 There may be something that will help you. -
Parnelli wrote:

Sounds like a kindred spirit. I think I'll buy the book and find out. Thanks!
KG

I'll speculate that perhaps your 2nd largest challenge will other companies will hire away the people you train. In yee olden days when apprenticeships were the norm, perhaps the field was more level because if you lost some apprentices to another company, you'd a;sp pick some up from other companies and it would all balance out.
Nowadays a company that invests in apprentices will lose out because other companies will find it more economical to hire them away rather than train them.
It's good that you are laying out the entire career path pay scale from $9 to $30 (in today's dollars). Perhaps there should be some kind of "non-portable" long term equity sweetener to keep them from jumping ship. If not ownership in the business, then perhaps some kind of retirement system - but not 401k/portable/transferable?
I would also speculate that most 18-22 year olds aren't thinking about retirement plans. And perhaps societally, the old school perspective of "you are going to do this for many months even though you did it perfectly in the first few weeks" won't fly anymore.
Maybe nowadays, once the new recruit demonstrates perfection in a menial task say 12 times, they get the widened scope. Making them rinse/repeat for many months more, may drive them away. Whereas decades ago, all apprentices probably knew that months of boredom was the standard.
May be some good press/media buzz will also help your program appear glamourous to the youngings. And it certainly helps you that the economy is pounded and jobs are scarce.

On Jul 16, 10:06am, snipped-for-privacy@blarf-fake-not-real.com (jj) wrote:

Heck in the Ultrasonic industry, its not that uncommon to sign a non- compete disclosure for 1-3 yr or so, after leaving for whatever reason. Allot of independent mfr's have started up their own business after learning the "ropes". Its basically a scare tactic anyway. I just jumped ships the begining of this year & nothing was perused, besides a friendly phone between the VP's, saying lets not try to make this a habit.
--

\|||/
(o o)
jj wrote:

For those who are willing to take a look, the company can be pretty glamourous. First thing you see when you walk in the front door is a generous open area of granite floors and mahogany furniture, a whole wall of glass and brass display case with a mixture of parts that we make, racing trophies, and the company owner's helmet. On the other side of the reception desk is a vintage F1 race car ('68 Brabham, if anybody's interested), gleaming red, perfectly restored, looking like it wants to rev and go at any second. And that's just the lobby!
The shop looks like a laboratory. Gary Lucas spent a half hour walking around with me, then remarked to the group that he never saw a chip, even though he knew they had to be there because all the machines were running.
Then there's the work. It's good stuff - aluminum, stainless, titanium, Peek, Vespel. No cast iron or steel. And intricate parts that ought to impress anyone who knows what he's looking at.
I agree that we need to make all this visible, and draw people any way we can. We're working on that.
KG

Suggest you put a dirty toilet full of "s" in the lobby with a sign above it that says:
Help Wanted:
"We're obsessed with crap"
This should help to make the truth about both you and the owner more "visible".
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

...says the guy in the faux "machine shop", running worn out, tool throwing junk, to the guy in the 30,000 square foot laboratory with a dozen new Integrexes, and 15+ other advanced machines that aren't even 5 years old. Did you know Kirk's shop doesn't have a single 3 axis machine in it? How many three axis VMCs do you have in that faux shop, Jon? How many 4/5/6/7 axis machines does the faux shop have?