Good Value

Would buying Haas VF3 over Mazak VCN510 (very similar Machining Centers) be considered a good value for the money?

I am wondering because someone told me that a Mazak would be only 10-15% more expensive than Haas. If this is true Haas is way OVERPRICED :)

tools

Reply to
toolsntoys4u

"toolsntoys4u" wrote in news:6%r1g.119714$%H.44497@clgrps13:

The new Nexus machines are *very* competitively priced, especially for the machine you get. I can put you in contact with a very good distributor for Mazak if you would like to get a quote.

Reply to
Anthony

Thanks for the offer Anthony,

I used to fix Haases and always thought they were a "good value" for the money. Now I repair Mazaks and just recently found out about pricing. Haas seems way overpriced now.

tools

Reply to
toolsntoys4u

Hey Tools,

Maybe you or Anthony can answer this.

FH4000- Been down for about a year spindle motor was said to be bad by Mazak welll after a year it dried up and runs ok, so no more thru the spindle coolant till we fix the leak.

Anyway Mazak was in doing an install and we fired that mill up and it had a corrupt file (AT64main.exe. First thing he says "Need's a hard drive" takes off.

Next day I came in and they told me about it so I ran scan disk (fixed some files etc) did a defrag.

I ran the machine 40 hours non stop without a failure in a test program and is now back in production.

Few days later plant loses power for a second all machines fire back up except a Mazak lathe (640 control) guess what same problem (same file)

I tried the same routine couldnt fix it and looked at the file something like 19 mb and was trying to figure out a way to copy a file from another machine like it.

I knew I was going to have some issues , Mazak comes in......." Needs a hard drive" its like wtf is going on can't you just fix a corrupt file.

It just pisses me off that for some reason they act like they can't or dont have a clue how to restore the files to that hard drive.

When you go thru 4-5 a year we are talking about $ 10,000 a year in hard drives.

The pcmcia card slot on the front is cool for program files but you can't see it in windows , someone in here said look in the back (operator station) for another slot........aint one.

I want to figure a way that I can copy an entire drive ,has to be a way.

Then some guy shows up copies the backup and sends it to Mazak like its a big secret whats going on.

We are in the process of buying another lathe (just got a Nexus) but this is one of the reasons we may not get a Mazak.

At one time we had about 16 of them.

The whole thing could be done in a flash drive these days instead of that crap.

Any comments?

Regards

Daveb

Reply to
Anonymous

(DaveB) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.dslextreme.com:

Like most machine tool/control builders, the hdd has proprietary boot firmware, etc to prevent copying. This is supposedly to prevent "piracy", but imho, it's a gig to gain cash flow. If the hdd has to be replaced, you have to either send the backup to Mazak for them to load on the new hdd, or they have to pull the backup off the network and load it. I am sure this stems from Mitsu, not Mazak. We haven't had so many failures of hdd's, and we have a ton of 640 controls. I will agree that the level of tech support in the field is down, seemingly for all machine tool manufacturers, not just Mazak. We have a Deckel that has been down going on 8 weeks now, and Deckel service doesn't seem like they even care, and believe me..we have raised immortal hell all the way up the chain. Looks like the 2 5-axis mills we are going to purchase this year will either be Mazak or Mikron, but certianly will not be Deckel.

Reply to
Anthony

We have had a long list of issues with DMG also. Good machines, bad service. I don't know if the style of machine would apply to your needs, but have you looked at Mori Seiki's new NT series machines?

That seems to be the new thing subsequent to mill/turn lathes. We have a DMG mill/turn machine (CTX 420 Linear), but the toolchanging mill spindle type machines that have been coming out would be ever-so-nice for the kinds of parts we run on our machine. We almost never run parts that are actually round in our mill/turn machine.

Reply to
Bryce

Bryce wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Same here, really good machines, below horrible service.

We sent one of our toughest parts to Mikron, they sent us a video of them running it. Cut 15 minutes off the cycle time, and a better finish. We are looking very closely at that machine.

Reply to
Anthony

Do they have good local service?

Just hope you don't go from bad to worse. Good luck.

Reply to
Bryce

Bryce wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I haven't gotten that far into it, but I'm sure that is of a primary concern right now. We have a Mazak service tech that was just moved to within 20 miles of the plant that will be our full-time on-premises tech support. I'm sure he will be pulled to other jobs now and again, but we are his #1 priority.

Reply to
Anthony

I would think that would make a Mazak look a lot more interesting.

DMG and local sales got all excited to tell us they had a local service tech about a year ago. He was mostly dedicated to a big customer, but could hopefully swing by when we needed him. Still have yet to meet him. Hopefully you get such dedication as the big customer in our area.

Reply to
Bryce

Bryce wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

He's there every day, has been for a while. IIRC it was part of the purchasing agreement for the last 45 or so machines we bought/are buying.

Reply to
Anthony

Same scenario in this case. Good for you, hopefully it makes life more tolerable.

Reply to
Bryce