Hammer Vise Handle Combo

To All:
    Just saw this cruising around. It may be old news to some, but it's the first time *I've* seen one.
http://www.piersonindustries.com/speed_hammer.php
    It doesn't say if it's a dead-blow hammer, so I would doubt that it is. But it still might be useful.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
BottleBob wrote:

Yeah but how would you bang on the vise handle for a good snug fit if the hammer is bolted onto it? LOL! couldn't pass that one up.
BB, here is a good one for a fun survey. Thanks Bob you made me laugh.
What is your worst vise related crash?
I had an operator who insisted on having the cnc retract to the door open position after a cycle. The guy was nuts about having one huge cnc do this. One day, after repeated warnings, he forgot to remove the vise handle that had the 90 degree handle on it. FWIW, that unbreakable glass door was quite breakable.
Michael
--

Michael Gailey
Artistic CNC Mill, Router and Engraver Programming
Michael wrote:

Michael, My thoughts exactly, although the type of stuff we do we generally don't beat on the vise handle.
Best, Steve
--

Regards,
Steve Saling
Garlicdude wrote:

but with sand castings anything goes Michael
--

Michael Gailey
Artistic CNC Mill, Router and Engraver Programming
Michael wrote:

Michael:
    NOBODY bangs on a Kurt (or Chinese knock off <g>) handle, do they?

    We bought a slew of "Spider" handles years ago for that very reason. You can usually leave them on the vise without mishap, unless you mount your vise really far forward or are using the longer double-lock vises.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
BottleBob wrote:

BB, not on a Kurt or anything fragile, remember we machine grey cast iron a bunch, we also have vises up to 450lbs, those were made many years ago and are still quite true. On 450lb vises when machining castings, the hammer is fair play. We got everything from ultra heavy down to a jewelers pin vise. Michael

--

Michael Gailey
Artistic CNC Mill, Router and Engraver Programming
BottleBob wrote:

Bob, Anthony posted that either here or on Practical Machinist.
Myself I don't like "combination" tools, they don't work as well as the stand alone tools. This one seems no different to me. I also prefer wooden handled hammers.
Seems like your enjoying a bit more personal time as of late. Good for you!
Best, Steve
--

Regards,
Steve Saling
Garlicdude wrote:

Steve:
    I never saw it in here, or PM (but then I don't go to PM much, and when I do I stay in the CNC area).

    For plastic face dead blow hammers I like the metal framed type. I have a couple of different sized ones, I also have an all rubber/plastic one, but I usually only use it when I don't want to mar a finished surface. As everyone knows, the plastic tips can have embedded chips. I take them to the belt sander from time to time to clean the surfaces.

    Took a little vacation time (actually had about 7 weeks piled up and will get another three weeks in a couple of months). Back the the salt mines Monday though.
    It's not like you lucky shop owners, who can jump online anytime during the weekdays. LOL
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

If you have a few extra hours to kill before going back to work Monday, read this thread on PM. I think you will enjoy it.
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/showthread.php?t9279
--
Remove "nospam" to get to me.

Alphonso wrote:

Thanks for the link. I haven't read anything that interesting in a long time.
Gary
On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 21:49:42 +0000 (UTC), Alphonso

Great read,
Tom
Alphonso wrote:

Alphonso:
    A *FEW* extra hours? LOL     I'm on page nine of a 21 page thread, that's a never-ending story. It's very engrossing, at least for tool junkies such as myself.     The thread is a tribute to creativity and perseverance. I'm impressed by mechanical inventiveness, and it seems many others responding to that thread are as well. I didn't realize that Practical Machinist had the level of machinists posting to it that are shown in that thread. I often see threads such as "How do I square up a block", or "Is using a CAM system a good idea", and other threads of that nature. So I came away with the impression that PM is mainly made up of newbies. The indexer thread has changed my outlook, and shows that there is much greater DEPTH to Practical Machinist than I was earlier aware of.
    Thanks for posting the link.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

Me too!
There's a guy (Newbould), whose 'Machining Tips' would be worth reading.
--

-JN-

The thread shows where the opinions and ideas (or lack of them) often put forth by people like Joe788, Tom Brewer, Cliff Huprich, James Meyette, etc. are badly flawed.
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA http://jonbanquer.wordpress.com /

Well, I'm done for the day. Shouldn't started reading it when I had things to do.
Thanks, Wes
On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 21:49:42 +0000 (UTC), Alphonso > wrote:

Fascinating read, thanks for the heads up!
BTW does anyone have a link to a list of the other 27 basic mechanisms? Tried Googling a bit with no luck.
--
William

$59.95??? What's that, about 2 weeks wages for you? You know....you and that "coolie wages" thing I've been hearin about. Isn't it about time for you to get a real job. I know a "button pusher" who just got fired from his job pushin the big green and red buttons on a 12....or was it an 11 pallet horizontal mill somewhere in Cali. Might be an opening there. Word is he was havin to hit the "red" button way too much after "fixing" the real programmers programs at the control but thats another story. :)
Anyhow....whats gonna happen to that "plastic" vise handle on those cheap chinese knock off vises the first time you give em a good whack with this hammer? Just sumpin to consider.
Barn
barn snipped-for-privacy@excite.com wrote:

Barn:
    Naww, I can make that easy in one week, with a little less than 12 hours overtime.

    First think I'd do is paint 8" tall numbers on all the tombstones so I don't lose track of any of 'em.

    Well as Michael & Steve pointed out, that's the advantage of using this HammerHandle combo. You throw all your other handles and hammers in the dumpster just so you CAN'T hit the handle with the built in hammer head. Solved that problem, eh?
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

Bob, I posted about that over on PM, meant to post here but forgot. From what I read, they are soft-faced, but I also am not sure about the dead- blow aspect.
--
Anthony

Anthony wrote:

Anthony:
    After Steve mentioned you had posted it over on PM, I went and searched for your post.     *IF* it were dead-blow they probably would have mentioned it as a definite selling point.
    Someone E-mailed me and said the hammer/vise handle combo wouldn't work for them because they mount their vises long ways in the middle of the table. I suggested that he could saw off the handle beyond the hex and tighten the vises by grabbing the hammer head.