Mastercam X3 Toolpath Is Still A Dead Entity

All of this has what to do with the FACT that Mastercam X3 suffers from horrible graphics? The toolpath chaining arrows are often hard to see and the wire frame is nowhere near as clear as it could be in Mastercam X3. The reason CNC Software can't fix this by licensing Techsoft 3D HOOPS is?

I didn't say this. Vinny did. I said that solid verification isn't as good in Mastercam as it is in other products that use the same component (MachineWorks).

While were at it:

When was the last time back plot in Mastercam got any serious improvement?

Why does their have to be a separate NCI file?

Why can't back plot inside Mastercam be made to easily back plot the G code instead of the NCI file?

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

Imagine if the effort that was spent on Feature Based Machining in X3 was instead used on fixing the basics in Mastercam X2 MR2 SP1. I've used FeatureCAM in the past. I think it's estimated that only 2 percent of their users use the feature recognition part of Featurecam.

A tremendous amount of effort has been put into developing Mastercam In SolidWorks, yet SolidWorks can't handle modifying non-native solids models quickly and easily. I feel that most machining job shops spend a lot of time working with non-native solid models. The entire concept of parametric-history based modeling is badly flawed when it comes to working with non-native solid models. SolidWorks also lacks the needed tools for trying to understand someone else's design intent if you need to modify their part and not toss the history in the trash.

My blog, that you say is all about me, spends a lot to time trying to make this clear.

My blog, that you say is all about me, spends zero time talking about me.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

Maybe the developer of this spreadsheet that works inside of Mastercam X2 would like to sell 5 more seats of his product. He's not going to be able to because you didn't list who the developer of this product is. Maybe others reading along or who read my blog have an interest in this product.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

All of this has what to do with the FACT that Mastercam X3 suffers from horrible graphics? The toolpath chaining arrows are often hard to see and the wire frame is nowhere near as clear as it could be in Mastercam X3. The reason CNC Software can't fix this by licensing Techsoft 3D HOOPS is?

I didn't say this. Vinny did. I said that solid verification isn't as good in Mastercam as it is in other products that use the same component (MachineWorks).

While were at it:

When was the last time back plot in Mastercam got any serious improvement?

Why does their have to be a separate NCI file?

Why can't back plot inside Mastercam be made to easily back plot the G code instead of the NCI file?

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

So Jon if the ProE files (from your engineering department) are importing just fine into MasterCAM why exactly do you "YOU" need SolidEdge with ST?

[ Still have a lot to learn about Mastercam. Currently working with a lot of Pro-E IGES files. So far it all imports very clean with no problems. ]-Jon Banquer -March 31, 2008

=================

[ I actually enjoy using parts of Mastercam now. Still have quite a bit to learn about the product which is made difficult ] -Jon Banquer- Mar 28, 2008 [ Why do you link your "old" blog to be linked again to another blog? The navigation on the "new" one sucks ass BTW

The sheer level of narcissism it takes to think that anyone gives a shit about your opinion of toolpathing is mind-boggling. You have proven time & time again through your various aliases that you have very basic knowledge of MasterCAM at best. If narcissism were measured in units of mass, your skull would crush in on itself in a giant black hole of stupidity. ] -zymrgy-

[ MasterCAM Handbook Series of which I own all three books. Expensive...$100 per book. Just finished Volume 1. ]-Jon Banquer- Dec 1, 2007 -clueless poseur. [ Does this mean you figured out how to chain in Mastercam? Or are you still changing levels and transforming Z depths because of the dastardly branch points? ] - joe788

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

[...]

larryrozer

All of this has what to do with the FACT that Mastercam X3 suffers from horrible graphics? The toolpath chaining arrows are often hard to see and the wire frame is nowhere near as clear as it could be in Mastercam X3. The reason CNC Software can't fix this by licensing Techsoft 3D HOOPS is?

I didn't say this. Vinny did. I said that solid verification isn't as good in Mastercam as it is in other products that use the same component (MachineWorks).

While were at it:

When was the last time back plot in Mastercam got any serious improvement?

Why does their have to be a separate NCI file?

Why can't back plot inside Mastercam be made to easily back plot the G code instead of the NCI file?

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

larryrozer

Jon, just because YOU can't edit multiple tools doesn't mean that capability doesn't exist. I have very successfully integrated Cribmaster and Mastercam (X, X2, X3) to give me LIVE tool libraries fed directly from our Cribmaster inventory, based on a number of criteria.... All from a SQL database. This is thanks to an open architecture of both Cribmaster and Mastercam. If you weren't so blinded by your "toolpath editing" tunnel vision, perhaps you could do the same thing...... I have offered this info up many times in the emastercam forum..... for free. But because you are such a dick, nobody is about to pony up this info to you - paid or free.

Reply to
zoober

Jon could use the PM module as well however ignoring PM is his preferred method.

[ What sucks is that two or our Haas's keep dropping tools. Our VF-1 and our Mini-Mill. ] - Jon Banquer- [

The tools do bang when they are released. Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out Monday and let you know what it's set at and the results. Haas has looked at it many times and the problem hasn't gone away. ] -Jon Banquer-

[ Do you mean the gage above the way lube reservoir?

If so it's at zero on both machines and stays at zero even during a tool change. ] -Jon Banquer-

[ Helpful post as I only have a casual interest and don't intend to make much of an effort in this area anytime soon.

When I get some time I might look into it more. It's not a high priority for me or for our shop ] -Jon Banquer-

Tools banging out of the spindle at tool change and sometimes dropping out of the carrousel and falling into the machine is only a casual interest when Jon Banquer is operating a machine.

The simple fix someone suggested is check the oil pressure it should be set to 17 lbs. Jon says the gage always reads ZERO but doesn't THINK THERE MIGHT BE SOMETHING to check out!

What does clueless Jon Bandqueer say? DUH...what gage, the only one he sees always reads zero. Then the story changes because Jon can't figure it out even when given (by me) pictures, a manual and the page number so he changes his story, it's not his job says jon bonkers even though he runs the machine and then the jon the donk says it's not a high priority.

Reply to
brewertr

It doesn't exist in off the shelf Mastercam X2 MR2 SP1. Just because YOU can't acknowledge that FACT doesn't make what I said untrue, Goober.

I have lots of issues I'm passionate about.

Wrong again, Goober.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

Haha!! Jon Banquer! Expressing his passion for complaining about software and functions he doesn't understand and can't use properly!

Reply to
Joe788

Again, you show your complete lack of knowledge. It does exist in X2 MR2 SP1 (as well as back to X). Just ask Roger Martin of CNC, whom I've been in contact with on more than a few occasions, discussing tool management import/export. All you need is a PROPERLY FORMATTED .txt file to import any and all tools into a library in MCX. This file is easily created on a scheduled basis from a simple SQL query job out of Cribmaster. I have done the same with Walter TDM inventory.

I don't need to acknowledge your ignorance to make what you said untrue. It is a simple fact. If you actually spent time in the systems you pretend to know and whine about, then you too could do what many others can.

Remember, just because you are passionate, does not mean you can program. Obviously, you have no clue - AGAIN! You are wrong again, Dickweed. Put that in your blog.

Reply to
zoober

Well Jon they tried to help another of your aliases starting a month ago in the MasterCAM forum but you're still clueless.

==============

Topic: Using a spreadsheet to edit tools

[ Is there anyone that offers a c-hook the allows you to use a spreadsheet to edit your tool libraries so that you can modify tools in mass rather than opening them up and editing them one at a time? ] -Jon Banquer- (AKA: NeilJ) 7-14-2008 CLUELESS [ Open your tool library in MCAM and right click on the white part of the tool library and go there That will create a txt file that can be modified and then brought back to Mcam. ] -Martin- [ I want to be able to export the tool library text into a spreadsheet. A spreadsheet will make it easier for me to add and edit tools instead of what I now do which is open each tool one at a time and edit it. I was hopeing someone had already setup a spreadsheet to do this as I don't have time or the inclination to setup a spreadsheet myself for this purpose. ] -Jon Banquer- (AKA: NeilJ) [ You mean like this?? 1) open excel 2) file, open, txt file from export from MCX 3) choose delimited format when asked. used little checkboxes to control detail of cells.

Done. pretty simple....... ] -Robert-

[ Nope. I don't mean like that. What a mess. ] -Jon Banquer- (AKA: NeilJ) 8-19-2008 STILL CLUELESS [ It's only a mess because you have no training and don't know what you're looking at. ] CNC Apps Guy [

OK...... You don't like that. But that is what MCX tool libraries look like in their native ascii format. What kind of eye candy do you want? If you have any excel skills, you can make it LOOK however you want. But the fact remains, if you save the above spreadsheet as a .txt file, it WILL create a library. There is quite a bit of help docs that describe the formatting...... ] -Robert-

Please don't get Jon started on ASCII/text files.....ROFLMAO..... Excel skills....LOL...let me translate Jon's earlier statement for you;

"I was hopeing someone had already setup a spreadsheet to do this as I don't have time or the inclination to setup a spreadsheet myself for this purpose." - Jon Banquer-

Means Jon hasn't a clue how to do it himself and wants someone to GIVE it to him. Jon has been searching and asking all around the net for months looking for a tool library spread sheet so Jon's excuse of not having the "time" is false and not having the "inclination" is code for him not having the skills to do it himself.

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

[

Good morning, Robert.

I've seen what Mastercam X tool libraries look like by opening them in Notepad. I understand that I can format the info any way I like in Excel most likely using VBA (if it's still called that). I have done this kind of thing in the past but at this point I don't wish to allocate the time and effort to do this and would prefer to purchase one that looks pretty and is easy for anyone to use without understanding Mastercam's tool library format.

While you may not agree that something like this is important at least you didn't take it personally and seem to understand where I'm coming from with wanting "eye candy" for a tool library spreadsheet.

Obviously my opinion is that Excel should not be necessary and this should be available inside of Mastercam but since it isn't I accept that I have to go this way and make the best of it.

What do you feel is a fair price to pay for an easy to use spreadsheet that is easy on the eyes? ] - Jon Banquer- (AKA: NeilJ)

[ No idea on price.

As I stated in another forum, I have automated all of my libraries by bringing our Cribmaster data into MCX. That being said, I don't use excel anymore.

I don't even have to look at the info. I don't do anything except run the import for the library file I want, and Bingo, a Tool library based on which machine or crib the tool is located at any given time. We have over 10,000 tools in Cribmaster, and every single one is available to me..........

Very automated, but perhaps overkill for smaller shops. I am very well versed in SQL, scripting, etc, and set up the process in house. To my knowledge (after working closely with CNC and Winware), nothing like this is available commercially, but the excel method works "out of the box". ] -Robert-

Reply to
brewertr

Jon says at his new job they let machines go for years banging the tools out of the spindle, at tool change often dropping tools out of the carrousel into the machine, where oil gages always read zero and without any PM checks or schedules but they go out and buy Hermann Schmidt lapped edge finders......LOL. No wonder Jon slipped through the cracks and was hired by dumb & dumber mfg. co. good thing they aren't a job shop.

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

Pretty easy to hire unproductive sociopaths when nobody in the chain of command at the "machine shop" is accountable for any sort of profit making.

Reply to
Joe788

[...]

According to you Synch-Tech, your CAD-De-Jour strips design intent as it removes all constraints on imported solids. So Jon how do you determine design intent as well as critical fit, form & function dimensions on imported solids and re-constrain them using your CAD-De-Jour Synch-Tech program?

Reply to
brewertr

[...]

You say the original constraints are stripped by synchronous technology when importing non-native models. Prior to you hacking and whacking the model, how do you a machinist or anyone else determine original design intent on this imported model with regards to fit, form and function before making changes?

How do you determine which (critical) dimensions on the imported model should be locked and which can be unlocked?

Why do you continue to avoid answering direct on topic questions to support your positions?

What happened to SolidMap? According to you it answered all our questions about how the model was built in SolidWorks so how is this difficulty determining design intent still a concern?

Whatever happened to skeleton modeling, master modeling, horizontally structured modeling?

How come you can't format a simple spreadsheet?

[ Associativity is what the engineers I do work for want. We are frequently asked to change their designs to make them manufacturable / manufacturable at a cheaper price. We do design changes on a daily basis. ] -Jon Banquer-

What exactly is your engineering department doing while you say you are arbitrarily hacking and whacking their models on a daily basis?

Tom

Reply to
brewertr