OT Survey: Age & Years of Machining Experience

To All:
    I was cruising through Practical Machinist and saw that someone had asked this two-part question over there and received a LOT of
responses. So being curious about the regulars (and lurkers) over here, I thought I'd ask the same questions. The more detailed the response to the machining question, the better IMO.
1. What's your age?
2. How many years have you been involved in machining?
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
BottleBob wrote:

I'll drag down the average plenty.
1. 55 2. 5, hobby only.
My interest is hobby, and someday building a cnc router for my model building. It's kind of the opposite of KISS. I can make it as needlessly complex and interesting as my pocketbook allows. At work (R&D)I've invented and designed stuff that I had machine shops build. That always made me envious, watching them make stuff, so I finally got my own lathe, shaper, etc. once I moved to Michigan. Love it, can't wait to retire and piddle full time.
Pete Keillor
1. What's your age? 49 on Wed.
2. How many years have you been involved in machining? Started in 1980 as modelmaker for Radio Laboratory (Telefunken) Sidetracked into Computer Tech for 24 years (but still making stuff at home) Now Engraver with 2 x Isel 48" routers, and 2 x Laser engravers (Trotec 60W & 30W)
Building a Linux-based CNC router from old Hermes machine built up from scrap.
Pete Keillor wrote:

1) I'll be 60 next month. 2) 30 years. I started out as a manual machinist, and got involved with a monstrosity of a twin-turret Cadillac lathe (eww!) with a Hasbach Bandit in 1980 which got me into programming.That shop owner's son is an occasional contributor to this forum so... HIYA KEVIN!

Ok Bob...who the heck was "Pi" over on PM?...was it Hamei or Cliffy? LOL
snipped-for-privacy@netzero.net wrote:

    Have you been cleared for classified information?
    Just kidding, I have no idea who "Pi" is or was. I've just recently been lurking over there and haven't noticed any "Pi". I don't know what time period you're referring to but Hamei has been out of the country and hasn't posted for what seems like years.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

"Pi" is "Kuei", known as a software pirate. He's the guy that was so blatant in his marketing of Fanuc option parameters that the lawyers jumped on him.
He was banned from "The Practical Machinist" a couple of months ago, but managed to sneak in a message this morning.
--
Remove "nospam" to get to me.

On 8 Jul 2006 10:36:30 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@netzero.net wrote:
Hey, snipped-for-privacy@netzero.net - that's not Jim Mulholland is it? My high school shop teacher?
--
Bryce

BottleBob wrote:

43
28
--
Black Dragon

He: Am I... am I your first?
BottleBob wrote:
1. What's your age?
48 2. How many years have you been involved in machining?
30, Started with a broom and a drill press, kind of a blurr ever since
Darrell
BottleBob wrote:

--
Regards,
Steve Saling

40
19
--
Anthony

.

60+
If rebuilding tractor motors and farm equipment counts, for at least 50 years. I can't remember when they first let me run a lathe. it was sometime after learning how to use a Van Norman 777S boring bar, which I still have.
--
Remove "nospam" to get to me.

BottleBob wrote:

46
29
BottleBob wrote:

Found those WMD's yet?

Zero.
--
Cliff

BottleBob wrote:

6040 and but tempered much softer over the years :)
Started in '66 at United Shoe Machine in Beverly Mass.
Now collecting on my aluminum stock along with brass for the reloads :)

47
30
-- Bill
BottleBob wrote:

41
11
Later,
Charlie
Charlie Gary wrote:

Charlie:
    Now that's interesting , what did you do before?
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

Well, he used to come by my shop after the car shows were over & play pool or watch some of the 20 or so car people that did. That was 1976-1978 or so.