OT Survey: Age & Years of Machining Experience

Chuck wrote:

Chuck:          You (and all the other lurkers this survey may have brought out), should consider posting more. I'm sure that a greater variety/experience of posters would be a positive influence and welcome addition to the group as a whole. *I'd* certainly welcome it. IMO, this group is stagnating with the same 10 posters making most of the posts.     Please don't let a few trolls dictate how you choose to respond.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

Oh, hell....Ok, I'll talk. 52 years old--28 years machining. Started out at Caterpillar in Illinois working the crankshaft line on a manual lathe. Then went to the cylinder line, paint line and can't remember where else at Cat. Quit Caterpillar in 1979 just months ahead of a massive layoff but learned enough to get me hooked on machining.

Heh...I also worked on the electronic launch control equipment on Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles. Now those were serious WMD's and I knew where every one of them was located!
McQ
BottleBob wrote:

1. What's your age?        111111
2. How many years have you been involved in machining?        1100
John

StaticsJason
Age: 27 Years of Trade experience: 11. Started working as a volunteer trades assistant after school and on weekends on an old steam tug in Melbourne Australia. I've had limited CNC experience since then, the highlight being machining a triple start leadscrew nut for a bed type mill on a Mazak CNC lathe. Used an over sized insert ground on a tool and cutter grinder as a form tool. Used Aluminium Bronze for the material. This was five years ago, and the mill still runs like a dream now.
BottleBob wrote:

50

27 in machine tool and precision motion system design, add another dozen playing in my grandfathers machine shop making toy cannons and such.
--
jeff

I just turned 40 last month.

24
When I was a Junior in high school, I started a 2 year "Machine Tool Technology" course. From there I hired on as an apprentice at a local mold shop. I was laid off there just a few months before my apprentice program was finished. I went to work at another shop for a few months, and then back to the first one when business picked back up. After a few more months, my boss forgot about the raise that he promised me, so I went to a third shop in 1988. This new shop had a couple of cnc's, so I spent every minute I could soaking up that info. I learned to run every machine in that shop including the CNC edm's and I became proficient at programming too. Eventually, I became shop forman-head programmer-estimator. I guess I didn't have enough jobs, so one day the boss asked me if I knew how to design a mold. Next thing I knew, I was doing that too. Then, one day the boss and I got into a discussion about morals. He seemed to think they didn't have any place in business, and I disagreed. I guess he was right, because I found myself out of a job. So, I started my own shop in 1998.
BottleBob wrote:

29
5
BottleBob wrote:

40
22 for cash, 25 if you count shop class. 3 years at current job, 13 before that.
Mike

25.8
11.8
Dan wrote:

11.05
--
Bryce

49
The last thirty years I made my living from machining, but I guess my "career" started I was twelve and my dad bought a lathe. Old as it was, it had a full Norton box and would switch from metric to imperial by the flick of a handle. I promptly put it to good use by turning out a singleshot 22 pistol and a lot of other useful items.
After finishing school I worked for a year at an auto repair shop where I learned to stay the hell away from English cars.
One of our customers suggested I should take a year at "Maskinteknisk Vrkstedsskole" (machining school) as this would help open the doors to shops where you could get an apprenticeship. It was a good advice - With good recommendations you could take your pick among the shops, and I ended up as a tool & die maker apprentice.
After finishing my apprenticeship I got the kick, as the boss was a firm believer in the importance of young people trying something new.
Then came for four years in a company who produced both stamped, drawn and molded parts. I was the only tool maker with mold experience and it was great to be allowed to design and build the molds from "scratch" all by yourself. It was good years, but you could see the writing on the wall; all our machines were manual, and the management had no intension of going CNC. Finally, when they sold the newest bandsaw and left us with an old pre WW2 dinosaur, I quit and went to work for my old boss, who, in the meantime had invested heavily in CNC.
For the next four years I operated a wire EDM and designed molds on our sparkling new CAD/CAM system. Then the DOB & WOB entered the stage and since I was the last in, I got the kick once more...
I then went to work for a guy who had just started his own grinding shop. He had bought a brand new CNC grinder and new absolutely nothing about CNC. I thought "What the heck... I'll give it a couple of years and then I'll move on" That was almost twenty years ago and I'm still at the same shop... probably will be for the rest of my working life.
--
-JN-

LMAO Truer words were never spoken!
--
Remove "nospam" to get to me.

1. 36
2. 18
3. 2 = How long I've smoked cigs also.....................

1. 42
2. 22 Years, graduated Johnston School of Tech in 1984. Tool and Die making. Got a job at AT&T as a maintenance guy which required a Machinist degree, but only required very little machine work. Started my own shop as a Hobby in 1986. now run it full time since the rat bastard CEO closed the place and had it bulldozed flat and planted grass in it's place. Could add a year or two onto that if you want to consider my High school shop time were I made a 12" long brass cannon.
wrote:

Thank You, Randy
Remove 333 from email address to reply.
BottleBob wrote:

To All:
    As of 4:14 PM 7/12/06 the average age of the 42 respondents to this survey equals 47.5 years.

    The total years of experience of the respondents equals 1,098 years.
    I wonder if we lost a few replies due to "OT" being in the subject title. If so, they can now respond to the questions as I've taken it out of the subject title. I'll make an updated summary if there are significantly more responses.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

we the unwilling led by the unknowing have done so much with so little for so long we are now qualified to do anything with nothing
Terry wrote:

Terry:
    Isn't that essentially a Mother Theresa quote?
===================================================================We, the unwilling,led by the unknowing,are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much,for so long,with so little,we are now qualified to do anything with nothing. Mother Teresa ==================================================================    I don't think she was talking specifically about machinists, but it does seem to fit, doesn't it.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

i didn't know that i heard it from a 60+ toolroom guy in the 70's he could do anything with a file
Terry wrote:

Terry:
    Maybe Mother Theresa learned it from that 60+ toolroom guy, eh? <g>
A machinist I am A machinist I'll be There's nothing I'd rather do There's nothing I'd rather be My desire is to make chips fly Anything else would just not satisfy It's the original and different that are fun Not the same parts over and over ad infinitum Essence de la cutting oil is like perfume To one who is immune to fumes I can endure a few irritations When there are other compensations To machine objects never made before That's what I was put here for Problem solving is exciting But programming is the real thing It's the process of creation That's the source of my elation And pleases me in my vocation But it's a job well done That ultimately satisfies one Bottlebob 1997 ======================================================================
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

cool