OT Survey: Age & Years of Machining Experience

D Murphy wrote:

I have been in business for myself 7 years. Longer than I was an employee anywhere. I spent 23 years moving from job to job out of boredom and a desire to learn new things and make as much money as possible. 1-2 years typically. I was at one place 4 years and another 3 years. Job shops mostly. Foreman/Programmer/CNC Lathe and Mill Set-up/Whatever else was my last job. It lasted a year and a half. It was the last bad experience I needed to be independant and I couldn't be happier now.
D Murphy wrote:

Dan et al, I started working in a job shop where my Mom was a secretary at 17, shortly before graduating high school. I was in a program at my high school where you had half a day of English, math and social studies, and half a day of shop.
I started started working at Lawrence Livermore Labs at 19 and completed a formal 4 year apprenticeship which included 2 nights a week of classroom work.
After completing my apprenticeship I knocked around for 4-5 years before landing at a medical device company, where I worked for about 4 years.
Been an entrepreneur for 30 years now.
Best, Steve
--
Regards,
Steve Saling

48
4 years in a actual setting where machining is the manufacturing process.
Bonus time for college classes, maintence repair machining in prior job.
Wes S
snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote:

Oops, I forgot programming an ASI Accujet water jet (AB 8400B control), Fanuc robot based waterjets from 1988-2000.
Wes S
BottleBob wrote:

60
45+ depending on how you define machining, my grandfather was a pattern maker and when I was around 12 or 13 he handed me a file and a square of ductile cast iron and said "can you make a ball out of this?"...I gathered later that this was how his apprenticeship was started. Dirty work, but this taught me some lessons I never forgot.
Dave G. http://atensundials.com

61
42
BB,
Age 52 Years machining 27
Tom
BB,
I would really like to see Cliffie the Clueless Buzzword King's answers to these two questions.
LOL, Tom
BottleBob wrote:

BottleBob wrote:

24
Starting my 4th year of apprenticeship. 3 years before that in school.
Regards,
Robin
BottleBob wrote:

50
32 with a 4 year break in college, 7 at this job

48
28
--
SVL

BottleBob schreef:

Well lets get that average down a bit :) 32

12, All in the same place.
Cobra

Time to look for a new job. Unless you've switched jobs a few times you'll never believe just how much you haven't learned! It can be a real eye opener.
Gary H. Lucas
Gary H. Lucas schreef:

Actually that should have said "12, For the same boss" instead of "in the same place"
I started working on a manual lathe and after 2 years a CNC lathe. Did that for another 5 years. Then one of the workers got sick and they had an old mill with no one to run it. So I did that. And when I say old mill i mean old (pre 1900) Actually it was a planer (USA build) which was rebuild to a mill in 1950. It had 3 milling heads which could be put under an angle. The workable area was about 4 x 1.5 x 1.2 meters. 7 axis And no digital readout hell there wasn't even an nonius on every axis. I did that work for about 3 years. Then I finally got them to buy a CNC mill "Lagun GBM 31" with a Heidenhain TNC 530. I've been working on that machine for about 2 years now
And just last week the boss asked me if I was interested in becoming the Foreman. The reason for this is, In about 2 to three years we are going to lose about 6 of the 10 workers in the shop(retirement). And they need a Foreman who knows how the shop works. I'm not quite sure i'm going to take this job. I think I should at least try this job and see where it takes me. Changing jobs now, seems to me, not the right choice maybe after I worked as a foreman for a couple of years.
Cobra
Age 56 next month 57
Started 1968 drill press operator in Mi. now Sr. Mfg. Engineer.
Been lurking here off and on since early 90's when, believe it or not, 5 posts a week was something, keep returning to peek instead of active participation because too many flame throwers.
Absolutely love manufacturing and have a passion for it.

I have to apologize, after reading my post it sounded like I flamed the group, wasn't my intension.

Chuck wrote:

Chuck:
    I don't see where an apology is necessary, or warranted. Your comments seemed like an honest and accurate evaluation of the situation here. There ARE a number of kooks/trolls/stalkers in here that may make posting for many an unpleasant experience.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

aw come on some are real fun 49 30 voc school radial drill vert mill horz mill lathe vert and horz edm ram/ wire surface grinder currently shop manager usally 2 yr stint longest 8 yr shortest 8 hr
Terry wrote:

Terry:
    Yeah, it can be fun, for the first 300 times. After that it gets tiresome.

    Sounds like an interesting story in there. <g>
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

not really didn't take long to realize not for me no tooling, fat finger programming 5 axis machines and a heavy german brogue demanding vy dis is nut dun