OT Survey: Age & Years of Machining Experience

BottleBob wrote:

This should be fun......
My last paying job before being a machinist was running the service department for a Rainbow vacuum cleaner distributor. That began when I left the Air Force to take a job with the Navy in Washington, but somewhere in between the time I interviewed and the time I showed up for work the DoD instituted a hiring freeze program I was eligible to participate in. The classifieds revealed a job opportunity I was qualified for at the time, and soon I was trying to lie to myself about enjoying be a vacuum cleaner salesman. That lasted longer than it should have, but I lasted until there were enough people asking for service that I opened up the service department. At the same time I got a job working at Target stocking shelves. After a while I demonstrated a consistent ability to speak clearly, shower and show up for work, so I was promoted to Electronics lead. That was where I met a guy wearing grubbies asking about graphing calculaotrs. When I asked him what he did with something like that, he told me about being a machinist at Boeing. I asked how he got enough experience to get a job like that, and he told me about Renton Technical College. So I quit the job I hated most (Target), and soon after school started the job I kept went bankrupt. No, I don't pick stocks. Before Target and Rainbow, I pumped gas into airplanes and other things for the Air Force. That was seven years of a truly mixed bag of experiences. Before the Air Force I worked at Marmon Motors in Texas, building the finest trucks on the road. If they were the best built trucks, I would be scared to ride in anything else. ;-) Before Marmon I worked for a welder who owned a portable service, but he wasn't as smart as he thought he was. Those are the jobs I got the most out of. There were the usual McD's and grocery store jobs, and what 20th century childhood would be complete without a paper route? That's about it.
Later,
Charlie
Charlie Gary wrote:

Charlie:
    Thanks for sharing that. That would be one well rounded resume. <g>
    I always like personal interest stories that let me see more of what makes up the regulars in here.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

They make those things about a 1/2 mile from where I work.
Wes S

I have never seen a welder that was even a fourth as smart as he thought he was.
--
Remove "nospam" to get to me.

alphonso wrote:

The day I questioned his mounting of a ramp to a floating boat dock was the beginning of my end. At the time I couldn't quote the pythagorian theorum to back up my arguement, I just knew you couldn't bolt the ramp solid at both ends when the dock could only go straight up and down.
Later,
Charlie

he
A real challenge finding one who doesn't misspell it as "weldor"...
--
SVL

BottleBob wrote:

48.934
27
3 years EDM late 70's early 80's
4 years fixture designing & building
17 years CNC
3 years design & build gaging
--
Steve Walker
snipped-for-privacy@verizonwallet.net (remove wallet to reply)

48 and counting, I hope.

34 years.
I was born in it. Deep in it. . .I just pulled that number from when I can distinctly remember my first part I took from start to finish.
All of this time in the family railcar shop and machine shop. Machine shop has always done railcar stuff, and job shop work.
I took the shop CNC on a limited basis and we now do all of our railroad axle turning work on CNC. This really happened around 1997 an got going full blast in 2000 or 2001. We have had our American 3220W CNC since about 1992. My Father gave up on it though.
Yep, I was a SOB. Now the next SOB is 9 years old in his bedroom right now under the weather at the moment. He spent his first days at work this year helping us change out roller bearings on railroad alxes that had been flooded out in Katrina and Rita. Proud moments.
Got mad at the Old Man one day and quit and went to work in a Foundry for three years as a machinist. That shop also did piss ant job shop work and I also did a lot of in house stuff. I could not believe that the Old Man there was a UT Engineering Grad and had run that foundry for years along with his Mother and we were out there with Rex 95 in the early 1980's. The SOB there was also a UT Engineering Grad. Foundry is now gone, SOB's heart was not in it.
wd

43.924
Just about 27
Hey Bob you gonna answer you own survey?
I also wonder how long people have been in their current job.
I feel like I'm in a real minority staying in the same place so long. Well outside of our company anyways.
--

Dan

Scopulus est usquequaque nefas
D Murphy wrote:

Dan:
OK.
Age. 61
Ran my first lathe when I was 18 turning commutators on armatures when I worked for Black & Decker as a tool repairman. That must have been in '63. Worked as a machinist for a radar Wave Guide manufacturer a few years later. Then came my 4 year Tool & Die apprenticeship. Worked as a die maker, mold maker, prototype machinist, and Bridgeport CNC programmer for a company in Burbank from '78 to '83 (paper tape Flexiwriter days). Worked for the studios as a machinist for awhile, made some neat stuff for movies and TV. Fun job, just the 12 hours days and sometimes 7 day weeks got pretty old after awhile.

I've been at my current job since '95. We do all kinds of stuff, medical, aerospace, automotive, etc. Here's a clamp I finished Thursday.
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/Clamp_1.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/Clamp_2.jpg
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/Clamp_3.jpg
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

Dad?? Is that you??
Just kidding. I'm starting to realize time sure does fly by.

I've been here twenty years. But I've had lots of different jobs within the company.

Nice work. I like the first pic. Sitting here without my glasses on I'm getting an optical illusion off of it. Kind of like the three prong widget thing.
I take it that this is prototype/low quantity type work?
--

Dan

Scopulus est usquequaque nefas
D Murphy wrote:

Dan:
    Jeeze, don't you just know it. It just seems like yesterday that I actually had hair. <g>

    20 years? Now that IS some serious time in one spot.

    You know, I got a similar visual anomoly. And I know what it should look like! LOL     BTW, the part was about 8 inches tall with the base close to 3 inches square.

    It varies. We do a lot of onezie-twozie work, but then I programmed for a series of 70 plastic parts before the weekend. We do repeat 1,000 part runs for some titanium implatable battery cases. The variety tends to keep the interest level up.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

I really think that's why I've stayed where I'm at for so long.
--

Dan

Scopulus est usquequaque nefas

That's exactly why I am still at my work. That, and the fact that my company deems it extremely important to stay on the cutting edge of technology and they put the money out there to do it with and I get to help determine where that edge is.
--
Anthony

Nice work Bob. I hope you are compiling statistics for the responses to post. Looks like the average years of experience is going to be way up there, which is why the knowledge base on amc is so diverse.
--
Anthony

Anthony wrote:

Anthony:
    For the survey, or the clamp? LOL Thanks in either case.

    Actually I'm writing down the respondents names and keeping track of the average age. Up to and including Robin's post/age (which brought down the average by about a year and a half <g>), the average age is 50.45 years.     Years of experience might be hard to quantify, since you could have production people that may have one year of experience repeated 20 times. <g> And there also may be other cases such as my own where there are gaps in the work record due to military service, schooling, doing other work, jail time, etc., etc.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

Early on, I worked two full time jobs at one point. 55 hours/wk in the first and 40 at the second. I also have had part time jobs.
I decided that sucked and went to school instead. The trick is to find a job that offers tuition reimbursement.
--

Dan

Scopulus est usquequaque nefas

Well Bob, I'm going to drag down the experience average. I'll be 53 tomorrow.
Dad bought an Atlas lathe for the shop in our garage when I was 10 and a Swiss guy from the plant where he worked fitted a chuck on it and showed me how to use it. I made axles and steering shafts for minibikes on it. I worked in the family electrical business until I was 30, we owned a lathe and mill that I used to make parts for our trucks, cranes, trenchers and such. I then started my own business to build a robot watering machine that I patented. For the next 8 years I made quite a few parts on the lathe and mill. It was all simple stuff though.
I always found CNC interesting though, and a boss and I took a college engineering course on PLCs, CNCs, robots, and vision systems. Then I bought a couple of CNC mills at an auction, just because I was interested. I sold off one and recouped my entire investment plus $4000. So I played with them for a few months and got a design job in a machine shop. A week later they fired the guy running a Fadal 4020 and asked me if I thought I could run it. I took the manual home that night and told them the next morning I thought I could handle it. We were doing mostly one off casting work and all the programming was done manually. I quickly learned to do all the programming parametrically using the macro language. Three months later they hired a real CNC machinist to replace the guy they fired, and kept me doing programming for 3 machines. My moment of glory came when the new machinist asked how long I had been doing CNC programming. I said 3 months. He said "Yeah, I know you've only been here three months, but how many years have you been programming? You really do some trick stuff with that macro programming!" I've been programming for three months, it's just a big printer hooked to a PC, and all my mistakes have been written in metal. After that we became good friends and he taught me a lot about machining. At my next job, a startup with a friend I brought in the CNC knee mill I had bought and we used it to make parts for the next 4 years.
Now I design and install waste water treatment systems, glorified plumber. So I'm just a wannabe machinist hanging out with big boys trying to learn more, just because. Shot the experience average all to hell!
Gary H. Lucas

15 total at the place 7 in the current job title
--
Anthony

D Murphy wrote:

Current: 2 Previous: 12 Previous: 12