Re: A suggestion for all machine shops...(opinion)

More windows.

> >It's funny how we pretend to want to increase productivity, and I say >pretend because that's what most do, pretend for the sake of keeping their >jobs. > >

If this were a logical world what you say would be correct, however AFAIK there are very few "Vulcans" currently working as machine shop supervisors.

In too many cases, when things are closely analyzed, the actual objectives of too many people in supervision/management [in many organizations, not just the metal trades] is not increased or even maintained productivity/quality, but some sort of personal satisfaction derived from giving orders to others, and increasing ones' status. One frequent example is that the boss hogs the newest computer, even though they do very little computing, and one of the older computers, which the designers are forced to use, would be more than adequate for "executive" use, and the designer/technician would more fully utilize the increased processor speed, memory, storage, better display, etc. of the newer computer.

FWIW -- this seems to be an epidemic problem from the smaller shops to the largest corporations. That is the primary objective has shifted from getting the product out the door, on time and at a profit, to all sorts of organizational "head games."

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

That is the essence of lean. Improperly implemented it means just a massive clean up with cool posters illustrating the process. Properly implemented it is a thought process just like you just had. Imagine the whole shop sharing your enthusiasm for a better way? That is what continous improvement is all about.

Reply to
Bill

Lean is just an exerpt from Kaizan. What I was quoting was right out of the

600 page kaizan book.
Reply to
vinny

Way back, when mobile phones were avant garde, our service engineers camapigned for them. The boss bought one to try. He was proudly showing off his new toy to a circle of admireres when a service call came in from a customer 200 miles away. Boss said isn't Harry down that way? Harry was indeed on a call, and by a huge coincidence, in the same industrial estate. Call to Harry's customer. Missed himby five minutes. Boss standing there red faced, only mobile in the firm in his hand.

Some days it is so good to go to work.

David F. Cox

Reply to
David F. Cox

Yeah well Kaizen is what the Japanese called what Deming taught them after WWII. Common sense is common sense in any language.

Reply to
Bill