Smoking in the MachineShop

Plus think of all the taxes that smoking generates, it's for the children don't you know.

Reply to
Garlicdude

Yep. I smoked for 40 yrs & I never took a day off in the 10 yrs I worked for other shops. Now with my own I work 7 days a week & I am never sick. Went to the DR 3 yrs ago for a check up, he said I was dead. Never had been to a DR in 30 yrs... But then again I'm dead, just don't know it yet ;)

Reply to
Why

Snipped

The crux of the biscuit in my opinion is are you worth what they are paying you, whether your taking smoke breaks or not. The smoker that Proto thinks he can't live without that, is worth it to Proto breaks or not. He probably has a non smoker or 2 that he feels the same about.

Like Bing says he lost control of the workforce.

Reply to
Garlicdude

"PrecisionMachinisT" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@scnresearch.com:

When I worked in a non-smoking shop, you got to smoke on your two given

10 minute breaks, and lunch....otherwise you were on your machine.

No reason this won't work....

Reply to
Anthony

If you *are* running the shop and you want to implement a No Smoking policy, just post a notice with an effective date on it. Include a section that each employee will need to make a decision which is more important to him/her. Do you want a job or do you want to smoke? The decision is clearly theirs to make. Anyone who puts smoking ahead of having a steady job needs to go asap anyway.

Reply to
Michael

Michael wrote in news:I8%Yd.418$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.roc.ny:

uh, what if yer on fire?

I just think everyone is so frickin sensitive these days they overlook the problem at hand.

Problem: Abuse of privaledges. Solution: Talk to said employee first then if no results fire him.

See kids, its so easy it aint funny.

Who cares if the person is a smoker or not? You abuse the rules and you pay for it.

Bing

Reply to
Bing

Yes siree! That is a solution. Work it out.

Reply to
garibaldi

The shop I worked for 1970-1973 40 person . That I still do work for (got a job from them I'm running now that has kept me going 18 hrs a day since 4 days ago) There you smoke at the machine if you want Or don't smoke if you want. But bitch about the other & your gone. But then it's in Dallas TX not Kooky-forn-I-A ;)

Reply to
Why

That is someting I have on my list to consider. Thanks.

J.

Reply to
Proto

Believe me I have put this topic off for a long time fearing it might start a war.

J.

Reply to
Proto

THE RULE is simple. *Everybody* gets two five minute smoke breaks per shift whether they smoke or not, plus a lunch break. Worked at the last place I worked, and it was in the employee handbook. Smokers who couldn't abide by the rules and got caught sneaking smokes between breaks got shown the door. It's quite simple, really.

As for the two five minute breaks, legally, at least in the State of New York anyway, all that is required of an employer is to give one half hour break per eight hour shift, that typically being lunch break. Anything else given is entirely up to the discretion of the employer.

The old saying goes, "if you don't like it, don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out..."

Reply to
Nocturnal Dragon

It's a controversial subject. Not only on Usenet, but everywhere. This discussion WILL get heated as most of us have pretty strong opinions and egos, but I highly doubt that when it's all said-n-done nobody won't get anything good out of it. Those who don't simply need to be beaten with a gigantic clue stick, and they'll come around eventually. :-)

Reply to
Nocturnal Dragon

You didn't say where you were. In California, where I have my shop, a business with fewer than 5 employees can take a vote as to whether to have a smoking facility or not, five or more and it's, by law, a non-smoking workplace. The law here also requires at least a ten minute break in the middle of the four hours before and after lunch. I let my guys take whatever smoke breaks they want, as long as they don't abuse it, and it hasn't been a problem. 5 to 10 minutes per hour is excessive, you're going to have to work out a deal with your smokers and let the non-smokers take the same breaks. it's only fair.

Bill Smith

Reply to
Bill Smith

I still don't see the connection between:

a) People who don't smoke and take washroom breaks b) People who do smoke and take washroom breaks

Perhaps you're implying that I think no one should smoke.

I did not say no one should smoke, in fact I actually said that I think they should smoke.

I am interested in a solution which allows the smokers to smoke while being fair to those who can work without a habitual interuption.

It's not about giving people a break. It's about fairness and productivity.

Perhaps I sound like a "liberal" but this is reality. People smoke, and at the same time people expect to get paid for the work they do.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

There isn't any. :-)

You did? Maybe I missed a post 'cause I didn't see that.

There is no interruption if they can smoke at their machines.

There is no interruption if they can smoke at their machines.

There is no interruption if they can smoke at their machines.

I'm out of this circle jerk. Have fun. :-)

Reply to
garibaldi

And more guns per capita makes you safer--repeat it enough times and it becomes 'true'.......

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

I guess so. My first post stated this.

Also in my first post, it is illigal (city bylaw) to smoke inside at work here.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

I have to say that life is simple here. As long as each guy gets his job finished on time nothing else matters. Radios abound. Free coffee all day freshly made. Microwave privileges non stop.Carry in your groceries and beverages each morning to the frig. Stop by any time from 6:45am to say

7:30am or so. Make a fresh pot as soon as you get there. Chat with the guys all day while working and taking smoke breaks. Does the phrase "Live Free or Die" sound familiar. Ok. This is an extreme analogy all is but true. New Hampshire the place machining is what we do. As long as the jobs get out and no one gets killed and everyone seems happy(until lately) nothing seemed to matter. :)

J.

Reply to
Proto

A state of autonomy can only work as long as there is no conflict. As soon as people begin to disagree, someone has to be able to have the final say so, or it just all goes to hell.

Reply to
Charlie Gary

Get the smokers to stop smoking....

It is good for them , and for you , smokers have more days away from work due to illness. If the have less away time , the earn more , and you to...

And the senior man , say to him that YOU are the boss, and that kind of nosense must stop.

Or maybe the "carrot and whip metod " will work.

Reward the smokers that starts to make less smoke breaks , and thus than don't gets no reward...

the sneaky (legal ?? ) approatch is to get some music tapes that have subliminal massages that states "smoking is bad for you and your productivity" , and play the over the speaker system during work hours

"Proto" skrev i melding news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
Haaken Hveem