Smoking in the MachineShop

Cliff wrote:

I need to communicate with them again. That will be where I start. Thanks again Cliff.
Cliff wrote:

I wouldn't be worried about time wasted smoking, they are wasting too much time sweeping.....
[you'd have to see my shop to know whay that is funny]
yourname wrote:

The manual area here is the only part that gets the chips everywhere. The guys are good about emptying the barrels. I would like to see shots of other shops. Would be very interesting.
: The manual area here is the only part that gets the chips everywhere. The : guys are good about emptying the barrels. I would like to see shots of other : shops. Would be very interesting. : ye but getting those chips to "rooster" off of a manual machine gives you kind of a charge. At least me but I'm easily amused.
Kathy wrote:

I love it when the floor vibrates with that low cycle roar of mechanical thunder while maxing out a Dataflute.
Cliff wrote:

Time for new machines anyway.
Cliff wrote:

We have a cleaning crew come in on the weekend. The places really never gets bad except the smoke that comes from the manual machines. Then only once in awhile it looks cloudy. Other than closing off that section I can't think of much to do but open window and turn of a fan. I have stayed away from Cool Mist for that very reason. That and the rust that happens. Must be from improper mixure.
Cliff wrote:

Help is what I seem to be short of these days. Most are small issues that bug me about the manual department in general. Like what brand is a good one for draw bars. Sometimes I go through them way to often. Are there any brands to stay away from.I am trying to get more into these sort of purchases. Does anyone do their own repairs on ProtoTrac equipment like replacing and adjusting the readers. Are there actually ProtoTrac shops out there or is everyone full CNC? What is the widest used CadCam package? Are people here familiar with TechSoft Procam?

one
out
Suggest address these issues one at a time, as new posts.
--
SVL

PrecisionMachinisT wrote:

ok,thanks.
Cliff wrote:

Thanks again for all the help.
Proto wrote:

Smokers will find any way they can to feed their addiction. You have 2 choices: Let the cancer fiends smoke in the building or let them all go. The biggest screw offs and the ones that take the most sick time are smokers. You are better off without them. Who is in charge, you or them? The rules cannot be different for smokers and non smokers. Either you give everyone a 5 minute break every hour or everyone follows the same break schedule. If they don't like it, let them go.
Bill Roberto wrote:

To let anyone go for any reason would be a blow to such a fragile shop just holding on. There just don't seem to be any workers around this area. Adds have run for months with not a single response. To hold things to letter of the law might be a disaster. I guess they are really in charge I suppose for now anyway. After all the guys that cut the chips are the backbone of any shop. If you need some parts out that week do you lose bigtime or do you cave?
J.

Can you afford to give nonsmakers a small raise? After all they work more, its only fair to be compensated. Tell your work force you'll continue to give raises to people at the job all day long, not ones who need a 5 minute break every hour.
Karl
Karl Townsend wrote:

I have thought of this. Even the quarter in the jar or putting a coin operated entrance to the smoking room. The Patch at the time clock.
J.
Bing wrote:
Snipped

The crux of the biscuit in my opinion is are you worth what they are paying you, whether your taking smoke breaks or not. The smoker that Proto thinks he can't live without that, is worth it to Proto breaks or not. He probably has a non smoker or 2 that he feels the same about.
Like Bing says he lost control of the workforce.
--
Regards,
Steve Saling

I still don't see the connection between:
a) People who don't smoke and take washroom breaks b) People who do smoke and take washroom breaks
Perhaps you're implying that I think no one should smoke.
I did not say no one should smoke, in fact I actually said that I think they should smoke.
I am interested in a solution which allows the smokers to smoke while being fair to those who can work without a habitual interuption.

It's not about giving people a break. It's about fairness and productivity.
Perhaps I sound like a "liberal" but this is reality. People smoke, and at the same time people expect to get paid for the work they do.
Regards,
Robin
Robin S. wrote:

There isn't any. :-)

You did? Maybe I missed a post 'cause I didn't see that.

There is no interruption if they can smoke at their machines.

There is no interruption if they can smoke at their machines.

There is no interruption if they can smoke at their machines.
I'm out of this circle jerk. Have fun. :-)
<G>

I guess so. My first post stated this.

Also in my first post, it is illigal (city bylaw) to smoke inside at work here.
Regards,
Robin

Ill bet its illegal to smoke in bars too. Like here in California. Only thing is..I dont have any problem finding an ashtray in most bars..they are usually stacked under the No Smoking signs.
Id hate to be the no smoking enforcer that tried to make the Oriental shops stop smoking.
Dunhills and 555 brand smokes with the occasional Marlburo filled ashtrays on all the machines here in Rob Reiner No Smokeing So. California
Gunner
Gunner