Smoking in the MachineShop

There's nothing about requiring two ten minute breaks in New York State labor law. Don't believe me? Look it up.

Nocturnal Dragon

some day Real Soon Now I'm gonna have to open youse guys eyes to the FACTS of working in China. If you think two people sitting on a bench watching a cnc machine run is hard work, then keep right on telling everybody how chinese workers slave their asses off.

Reply to
hamei

I tried that jogging thing a few times, what with my sloshing my drink onto my cigarette and putting it out......or getting ashes into the glass, I finally gave it up....

===

Where is the famous study showing that smokers take more off more sick time is what I keep wondering....

Yup...smokers die...and it often costs those who are left living money....

But, this is the same case with anybody else, too..

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

IIRC it was a WHO study and was done by the Brits...long debunked, many times over...then the EPA got involved

Not to say second hand smoke is good for you but when the paper was called to task the researchers simply doubled their margin of error...

And apparently it all still stands--so most law you see today is based upon it.

Must be those dammned liberals, eh ???

===

Im not into looking it all up yet again--but check this out :

PrecisionMachinisT

The trouble maker has long exited the shop. He was a secondary operations guy that was an old(56) retired cop that never let you forget it. He was the one that notified the authorities and forced the issue according to the law.

Reply to
Proto

Yah, but as he said he doesn't get many respondents to his ads and if he gets to tough on the smokers there then he's going to have workers leave for other shops. smoking addiction is a very tough nut to crack, ask anyone on a very low income level, they'll tell you they'll forego food before they do their fix.

Laz

Reply to
Laz

Be nice but firm. Always treat everybody with the utmost respect, even when you're telling them where the door is. You almost invariably get what you give when leading, so be the best example you can. It's a little rocky in the beginning, but things are almost always rocky when there's change, no matter what kind of change is occuring. People will get through it, and if it comes down to one employee trying to grip you by the balls with "I'll leave if I don't get _______", then let him know he's on the payroll until you find his replacement, and not a minute longer. That kind of BS is just bad business, and in the end you're helping to run a business that makes parts. Once you get comfortable with being in charge (really in charge), things will smooth out. Keep up the good fight, because the results are worth the effort.

Reply to
Charlie Gary

Smokers aint gunna stop taking smoke breaks and non-smokers aint gunna stop wanting the extra 5 that smokers are taking. Rather than battling the problem, why not turn it into something positive? Go for 5 minute repetative stress breaks once an hour. Many states are pushing for such breaks for typists and other repetative work so why not work that in for everyone machining too? Smoke all you want while stretching out whatever body part or eyes (in the case of people staring at a computer monitor all day) you use over and over.

If handled right, the shop looks like they are taking good care of the employees. the smokers get to smoke, certain types of fatigue injuries are reduced and the non smokers don't feel like they are being screwed.

Koz

Reply to
Koz

Just get with the 21st century and ban smoking in the shop period! Worked for a shop where half the employees smoked and they banned it over 15 years ago and guess what? Nobody quit. They get their regular breaks and lunch time where they could go outside. Many of them eventually quit the habit and were looking for an excuse to quit anyway. Out of about 20 in the shop who smoked, all but 3 quit smoking over the next 5 years. It's the most disgusting habit I can think of, next to people picking their nose and eating it with coolant and oil stained fingers. Machine shops are not the cleanest environment to breath in, why make it worse? Your health insurance premiums just may go down too. Give them a few days notice, on Wednesday tell them beginning on Monday your shop will be smoke free. You don't need to tell them why, just do it, it's your shop.

Reply to
Wayne

The law is new and still pretty much unknown to many. It seems that the way it works is nothing changes until someone complains. Then you get notified by mail and you must conform. Simply no smoking anywhere in the building. I have visited many shops in this area and over the border into Mass. and some are like 30 years ago in every respect. Others are high tech all the way obeying all the rules. Then there are the in betweeners.

The smokers try to get away with as much as they can and don't seem to care or even think about it. To them it is a bodily function and the world stops. A few are arrogant to the non guy or two as the smokers a majority. I can see the difficulties when one guy is outnumbered and he really wants to work and they really want to smoke. I just don't understand why those guys have to have one going all the time sitting in the ash tray sucking once in a while. Smokers 10 non-smokers 2 at the present time.

Reply to
Proto

What you say is true but once again this is such a small shop especially now just starting out of a slump. Years ago it was non-smoking then it switched back and forth a few times. Depending on who cried the loudest. But it was never a law until now and the old guy still thinks he should be able to smoke and drink at the movie theater. But they all make good parts and are a fine crew.

Reply to
Proto

hamei wrote in news:c1.2c.2vvtnt$ snipped-for-privacy@huey.wanlong:

Thank you d*****ad!

Sometimes you have a better way of clarification of myself than I have. Then again sometimes not. :)

Bing

Reply to
Bing

I have worked at shops that have converted also and save for one old guy that just downright failed without a but on fire all the time all others did continue to show a heart beat much to everyone amazement. Everyone continued to work and collect their pay. Surprise Surprise.

Reply to
Proto

I can't argue with you there. I think once things pick up around here everything that is going on now will appear very small. Back in the late nineties things were going 7 days a week. Seemed like it would be forever but that ended sort of fast. Things are looking up though. The market is opening up here n the N.E. from my opinion :)

Reply to
Proto

While there was one that forced it at the time I would hate to got backwards in anyway for the few that just don't want to debate it again. The smokers have their smoking room so they win. The others will have to go on knowing they just work harder and longer. They are actually much faster but I just figured they were better machinists which they are :)

Live Free Or Die is on our state license plate. Specifically Southern New Hampshire on the boarder of Massachusetts.

Reply to
Proto

None of these guys can get a job anywhere but your shop. Really. Start acting like it. Every business here in the people's republic south of the border stopped that crap 10 years ago, so you are limited to NH, and small, cro magnon companies.

These guys are not helping your business, they are killing it.

Reply to
yourname

Great. Thanks.

Reply to
Proto

I guess I have to admit you are right.

Reply to
Proto

They do get a beer break correct? just dont take that away

Daveb

Reply to
DaveB

One idea might be to offer those that sign an agreement not to smoke at all during the workday a raise. It would go to all in the shop, non-smokers as well, so they can feel all smug in their comfort watching the smokers squirm with the terrible choice they have to live with. Obviously, one who signs and cannot abide by the agreement foregoes the non-smoking bonus.

Might be a slight increase in costs initially, but you have to give cost of living increases every year or two etc. just to keep people on anyways. And you gain increased productivity offsetting your costs.

Laz

Reply to
Laz