Smoking in the MachineShop

his
Thanks- find me at the beach!

Bill,
Yer painting smokers as a bunch of screw offs and I dont see the correlation. IMO, most smokers are more than cogniscient of the fact of non-smokers not wishing to deal with second hand smoke, that to me, is so much PC bullshit, but we put up with it.
The same fucktwads will not complain about all the shit floating around in the shop air. Nor the material they have constant contact with but ya might as well just buy a rope and find a tree when smoking is concerned.
Its basic. You dont smoke in the shop. Its the law. Take yer 10 minute break either at one time or spread it out during the day. If you abuse the privaledge then yer ass is gonna git bitched out or worse.
Same applies to smelly bastards or people taking a 30 minute shit 3 times a day.
Bing
Bing wrote:

This Editorial was approved by the Clique/Cabal, responsible replys to this editorial are welcome.
--
Regards,
Steve Saling

That's gfunny, thought of putting the tumbler in the shithouse at my last shop, guess somebody would be talkn bout me then.
Anyway: First, if someone is going to quit, screw them, you don't need them, whatever you think. No one is irreplaceable. No one. NO ONE.
Usually, in the course of the work day, there is a spot to squeak out a butt OUTSIDE in a couple of minutes. My stuff has historically been short cycle[30-60 sec] small to mid run[50-100 pcsat a time] parts. I expect my guys to kick ass while the machine is running, that 100 pcs is done in an hour, and you are tapping them on the fly kinda stuff. If, AFTER THE RUN IS DONE they want to sneak out for a butt, I am ok with it, as long as they are MAKING ME MONEY. Usually it goes like this: Hey, I'm done with those, what's next, I gonna grab a butt. So what?
Second, I have never allowed ANYONE to smoke in my shop, drives me nuts, its all I will smell for a day. Long before it was illegal.
Third, I have alway been a flexible, no timeclock kinda guy, so mostly my guys haven't taken 'breaks' , but 10 mins twice a day is the law, that's all they get. Technically that is including going to the can! If a guy can't make it an hour without a butt, he is friggin useless, dump his ass.
In the end, it comes down to ARE THEY MAKING YOU MONEY? If they are, and domestic harmony is the only problem, find a way around. Hell, you cannot fly oon an airplane if you cna't make it 3 hours without a smoke, and you pay for the honor. You are paying them, you make the rules.
On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 13:58:20 +0000, Bill Roberto wrote:

You're generalizing. I'm a smoker, and have taken 1 sick day in 8 years. I can also guarentee (as will my employer) my employer wouldn't be in business if I was "the biggest screw off".

Yep. I smoked for 40 yrs & I never took a day off in the 10 yrs I worked for other shops. Now with my own I work 7 days a week & I am never sick. Went to the DR 3 yrs ago for a check up, he said I was dead. Never had been to a DR in 30 yrs... But then again I'm dead, just don't know it yet ;)
The shop I worked for 1970-1973 40 person . That I still do work for (got a job from them I'm running now that has kept me going 18 hrs a day since 4 days ago) There you smoke at the machine if you want Or don't smoke if you want. But bitch about the other & your gone. But then it's in Dallas TX not Kooky-forn-I-A ;)
Steve Mackay wrote:

You are an exception not the rule. Statistically smokers have more colds, flus, allergies and respiratory infections. A simple biological fact. Everyone knows a smoker who brags about a doctor telling them they have the heart and lungs of a 19 year old even though they smoke 2 packs a day. How can you argue with them?
On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 00:35:11 GMT, Bill Roberto

I've been smoking since 1974. Haven't been sick since the last time I seriously tried to quit smoking!:-) And that was just before I left Wisconsin back in 1983. Couldn't leave the house for 3 days. Haven't missed a day of work since, except to go skiing!
The only thing that messes with me know is when we have a couple weeks of 40 degree temperatures, then a Santa Ana blows in and it warms up to 90 degrees in a few hours. Get a runny nose for a few days.
Matt
Matt Stawicki wrote:

My wife's grandfather smoked until he was 85 and drank whiskey every day also. Had a stroke at the department of motor vehicles renewing his license at 85. It's probably not the butts as much as it is the rest of the stuff in the air.
Matt Stawicki wrote:

Do you exercise? I have met smokers who exercise and you can't tell they are smokers. There isn't the overabundance of phlegm in their voices heard in sedentary smokers. I think aerobic exercise probably processes the phlegm out more efficiently.

And more guns per capita makes you safer--repeat it enough times and it becomes 'true'.......
--
SVL

I tried that jogging thing a few times, what with my sloshing my drink onto my cigarette and putting it out......or getting ashes into the glass, I finally gave it up....
=Where is the famous study showing that smokers take more off more sick time is what I keep wondering....
Yup...smokers die...and it often costs those who are left living money....
But, this is the same case with anybody else, too..
--
SVL

You know, I was considering asking the same question this morning...
Our shop seems to be slightly different than yours.
We used to allow smoking until it became illigal to smoke inside at work. Our ceilings are typically 2-4 stories above the floor, so I'm sure it wasn't a big deal, other than dealing with the butts.
Now the smokers have to go outside to smoke. Some of the non-smokers are adiment that the smokers should be allowed no time off the job beyond the standard breaks. To me, I'd rather have a smoker take 5 min (I'll go to the water cooler) and be in a reasonable mood than having them all wired without their fix.
As far as "letting people go," this sounds nice until half your shop smokes (probably more than 50 guys/shift) and it is impossible to hire someone from another shop who is capable of doing the work we do (usually about 5 years or so).
It looks like management has yet to come up with a rule which can be both written in the employee handbook and actually followed on the shop floor.
I'll be watching this thread. Interesting idea of increasing wages for non-smokers. Something to keep in mind at my next performance apprasal....
Regards,
Robin
Robin S. wrote:

Believe me I have put this topic off for a long time fearing it might start a war.
J.
Proto wrote:

It's a controversial subject. Not only on Usenet, but everywhere. This discussion WILL get heated as most of us have pretty strong opinions and egos, but I highly doubt that when it's all said-n-done nobody won't get anything good out of it. Those who don't simply need to be beaten with a gigantic clue stick, and they'll come around eventually. :-)
--
Black Dragon Joyfully killing Google Groups posts since late 2004.

That which does not kill us, makes us stranger.

Uh, you forgot fishers of men. :)
Robin S. wrote:

THE RULE is simple. *Everybody* gets two five minute smoke breaks per shift whether they smoke or not, plus a lunch break. Worked at the last place I worked, and it was in the employee handbook. Smokers who couldn't abide by the rules and got caught sneaking smokes between breaks got shown the door. It's quite simple, really.
As for the two five minute breaks, legally, at least in the State of New York anyway, all that is required of an employer is to give one half hour break per eight hour shift, that typically being lunch break. Anything else given is entirely up to the discretion of the employer.
The old saying goes, "if you don't like it, don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out..."
--
Black Dragon Joyfully killing Google Groups posts since late 2004.

That which does not kill us, makes us stranger.

This is correct its the law. You might be surprised. No one will quit over their smoking habit. In a way you are doing them a favor.

First off, I am a smoker, and have been for 40 years. That said, we need to put this in prospective. Smoking is bad for you. No question about it. And the smokers in your shop need to release that public opinion has turned against them. There are very few places in the home of the free that allow smoking anymore. If you are a union shop you need to get the steward and sit him down and tell him the facts of life. In most states you can't even smoke in a welding shop or foundry. Don't come on as against smoking, just tell it like it is, sooner or later they will have to quit smoking. Address the issue by having your company health care provider come up with a quitting package. Get the nonsmokers to buy in on your fix, but remember the most militant nonsmokers are EXsmokers. I don't work in the trades any longer, I work in computer customer service (or Disservice). We are given 2 15 min breaks a day, plus lunch, and yes I spend my breaks outside smoking. but the rest of the time is spent working (more or less). Your people must realize they aren't special, everyone is the same whether they spend there breaks smoking or not. Back to Lurk mode. gary