Linear Motors

Hello to all, this is my first posting to this newsgroup.

I need some help/advice with linear motors controls.

I have a couple servo position controllers, left over from several projects I've worked on. The position controllers were used in applications driving hydraulic actuators, +/- 20ma with a null current from 0ma to 1ma.

I would like to setup a training stand for configuring the servo position controller boards. I don't think I can setup a hydraulic actuator mostly because of price and the requirement of a hydraulic pump and can also be messy. A pneumatic actuator will work, I've tried and succeeded, but it is also pricy and compressor is noisy. My only option, I think, is to use a linear motor. Please see attached link:

I've been looking for 5 to 10inch stroke length with a 1 to 3 second travel time.

The only problem is that the linear motors accept a voltage ON and voltage OFF to move. Typically 12VDC to 24VDC at 10amps. This is a problem for me because I have a +/-200ma capable servo position controller and not a 12vdc at 9amps to drive.

Question:

  1. Are there any linear motors out there that accept a 4-20ma or
0 to 20ma? Or a 0-5VDC control signal input? And priced under $1000?
  1. Are there any conditioning boards for converting a current input to the continuous required DC ON and OFF signals to finely position the linear actuator?
  2. Are there better options other than using a linear motor?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to
hou832

hou832 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Have you considered using regular motors with a lead screw or belt to give you translation?

Reply to
Scott Seidman

Sorry about the multiple postings, my laptop seems to want to post things before I press the send button tonight.

This may not be much help, but it may trigger recollections that someone else may be able to elaborate on. Way back in the days of analogue instruments, I recall viewing a multipoint temperature recorder that used a linear motor with position feedback to position the print head. The head moved to a position on the chart corresponding to the temperature, and put a coloured dot on the paper. The chart was about 250mm wide, and the motor moved from one point to the other more or less in the 'blink of an eye'.

So what you're suggesting can probably be done. Still might be easier to use a standard rotary drive with a worm.

Was it Kent? Can't remember.

Reply to
Bruce Varley

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 13:07:04 -0500, hou832 proclaimed to the world:

Controllers for actuators that move proportional to a 4-20 ma signal are common in many industries. Other inputs like 0-1 ma are available.

Try looking here.

Paul M