OT: Continuing Education Credits

Everywhere I look I stumble across places that offer classes and give "Continuing Education Credits". Now I'm thinking of presenting some seminars on applying control theory using embedded processors. While I'm more interested in presenting the information, if applicable like to be able to offer the credits, too.

My question is: How do I do this (in the US)? Is there some central clearing house for accrediting courses that offer such credit? What sort of hoops do I have to jump through? With whom and when? Somehow I doubt that I can just do this unilaterally, but if that's how it's done that's how I'll do it, too.

I _did_ try a web search on this. I got 1 600 000 responses, which all appeared to be folks offering classes, not any folks offering certification.

If anyone knows how I'd love to get a reference.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Tim Wescott wrote in news:puydncRr_PCVH5nZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@web-ster.com:

I'd try the National Society of Professional Engineers, or at least start there.

Reply to
Scott Seidman

Scott Seidman wrote in news:Xns97787D92F813Escottseidmanmindspri@130.133.1.4:

Also,

At first glance, it appears to be state regulated, but I bet there's all sorts of reciprocities.

Reply to
Scott Seidman

IEEE say their CEU's are authorized by

Reply to
BobF

My recollection is that accreditation, generally, means belonging to a valid accrediting group like the National Association of Colleges and Schools. You would have to agree to abide their very detailed requirements. So it may be that you'll need to associate yourself with some existing accredited college to get where you want to go without all the trouble of becoming a college, yourself.

In any case, my memory also tells me that "continuing education credits" are valuable to professional groups and state regulating agencies. For example, for teachers (who may need to acquire them for keeping certain state certifications active or otherwise for ratcheting up the pay scale a bit) or for medical professionals who also may be required to do that for similar reasons.

So I'd be looking to professional associations (like the IEEE, but not necessarily only them) or to state (or federal, I suppose) regulating agencies who may be regulating service professionals within their control. They will have the particular requirements you'll need to meet, if you find that "applied control theory" fits, at all.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

-- snippity --

-- snippity again --

The accreditation (if I get it) would be mostly for the purposes of satisfying corporate bureaucracies who approve expenditures. If someone from an Intel or a Lockheed-Martin wants to attend and get the company to pay for it, and if there's a check box for "Continuing Education Credit", then I'd like them to be able to check it.

I still have to decide if the pain is worth the gain, of course.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

It appears that my comment agrees reasonably well with other replies you received on your general question.

It's probably worth the phone call time to find out from those who actually write the checks. Just ask.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

Ask an institution that offers the credits. (If they don't know, report them to the AG!) Rick Lyons might know; he teaches. If his email address isn't on his posts, I can send it to you.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Avins

You'll get a kick out of today's Dilbert:

JeffM

ROFL!

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

I saw that -- it didn't connect, but yea.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Make your own certs. Do some calligraphy: "This certifies that has succcessfully completed the course "Applied Control Theory of Microprocessors" at Tim's Continuing Education College." And print some up, embossed and filigreed and stuff, like a real diploma.

Who's gonna know? ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

He'll know. It's one thing to fool around for oneself*, another to take someone in.

Jerry ____________________________________________

  • I have a sign for my car visor that reads "*AUTHORIZED VEHICLE*". It's true, too. My license plates are current.
Reply to
Jerry Avins

Your (local) state PE board (e.g.,

should have the necessary requirements for enabling your course to be used for CE credits.

At my previous employer, we set up a short series of training courses (dynamic alarm management). As I recall, nothing special was required to enable the students to use these classes for their PE CE requirements.

Good luck! Steve Kassarjian, P.E., Ph.D.

Reply to
steve

The fastest way is to find your friendly local college / university that offers engineering CEU's and ask them. They have already jumped through all the hoops.

Reply to
Joseph2k