OT: Continuing Education Credits

Everywhere I look I stumble across places that offer classes and give "Continuing Education Credits". Now I'm thinking of presenting some
seminars on applying control theory using embedded processors. While I'm more interested in presenting the information, if applicable like to be able to offer the credits, too.
My question is: How do I do this (in the US)? Is there some central clearing house for accrediting courses that offer such credit? What sort of hoops do I have to jump through? With whom and when? Somehow I doubt that I can just do this unilaterally, but if that's how it's done that's how I'll do it, too.
I _did_ try a web search on this. I got 1 600 000 responses, which all appeared to be folks offering classes, not any folks offering certification.
If anyone knows how I'd love to get a reference.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I'd try the National Society of Professional Engineers, or at least start there.
--
Scott
Reverse name to reply

Also,
http://www.pie-cpc.org / http://www.pie-cpc.org/CPC.html
At first glance, it appears to be state regulated, but I bet there's all sorts of reciprocities.
--
Scott
Reverse name to reply
On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 09:02:07 -0800, Tim Wescott wrote:

IEEE say their CEU's are authorized by <http://www.iacet.org/

My recollection is that accreditation, generally, means belonging to a valid accrediting group like the National Association of Colleges and Schools. You would have to agree to abide their very detailed requirements. So it may be that you'll need to associate yourself with some existing accredited college to get where you want to go without all the trouble of becoming a college, yourself.
In any case, my memory also tells me that "continuing education credits" are valuable to professional groups and state regulating agencies. For example, for teachers (who may need to acquire them for keeping certain state certifications active or otherwise for ratcheting up the pay scale a bit) or for medical professionals who also may be required to do that for similar reasons.
So I'd be looking to professional associations (like the IEEE, but not necessarily only them) or to state (or federal, I suppose) regulating agencies who may be regulating service professionals within their control. They will have the particular requirements you'll need to meet, if you find that "applied control theory" fits, at all.
Jon
Jonathan Kirwan wrote:

-- snippity --

-- snippity again --

The accreditation (if I get it) would be mostly for the purposes of satisfying corporate bureaucracies who approve expenditures. If someone from an Intel or a Lockheed-Martin wants to attend and get the company to pay for it, and if there's a check box for "Continuing Education Credit", then I'd like them to be able to check it.
I still have to decide if the pain is worth the gain, of course.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

It appears that my comment agrees reasonably well with other replies you received on your general question.

It's probably worth the phone call time to find out from those who actually write the checks. Just ask.
Jon
On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 10:09:29 -0800, Tim Wescott wrote:

Make your own certs. Do some calligraphy: "This certifies that <Joe Schmo> has succcessfully completed the course "Applied Control Theory of Microprocessors" at Tim's Continuing Education College." And print some up, embossed and filigreed and stuff, like a real diploma.
Who's gonna know? ;-)
Cheers! Rich
Rich Grise wrote:

He'll know. It's one thing to fool around for oneself*, another to take someone in.
Jerry ____________________________________________ * I have a sign for my car visor that reads "*AUTHORIZED VEHICLE*". It's true, too. My license plates are current.

Tim Wescott wrote:

The fastest way is to find your friendly local college / university that offers engineering CEU's and ask them. They have already jumped through all the hoops.
--
JosephKK
Tim Wescott wrote:

Ask an institution that offers the credits. (If they don't know, report them to the AG!) Rick Lyons might know; he teaches. If his email address isn't on his posts, I can send it to you.
Jerry

You'll get a kick out of today's Dilbert:
http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/dilbert/archive/images/dilbert20183184060228.gif
JeffM wrote:

http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/dilbert/archive/images/dilbert20183184060228.gif
ROFL!
Regards, Joerg
http://www.analogconsultants.com
JeffM wrote:

http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/dilbert/archive/images/dilbert20183184060228.gif
I saw that -- it didn't connect, but yea.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services