Stepper Drivers

I've got a client in a bind. He's designed in these parts: http://www.interinar.com/stepper%20driver%20BSD-02.htm , but the vendor is
out of stock.
Does anyone know of replacements I could recommend? The essential specs are that it should take step, direction & enable, and be able to drive bipolar motors, supply 2A at up to 24 volts. They're running inside an instrument, so OEM modules are fine and dandy.
Thanks.
--
Tim Wescott

I'm sure Geckodrive (.com) has something suitable. They have a huge following in the homebrew CNC community[*].
[*] I'm not sure what your customer will do with all the free magnetic geckos they'll get.
--
Ben Jackson AD7GD
< snipped-for-privacy@ben.com>
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 17:55:10 -0500, Ben Jackson wrote:

Make Geico ads? ;-)
Cheers! Rich
Tim Wescott wrote:

If Ben's suggestion doesn't pan out and it's urgent give Allegro a call. Their app engineers and sales guys should know which of their customers sell similar modules. Allegro makes tons of motor driver chips. I am not all that fond of them because of noise issues but that's another story.
http://www.allegromicro.com/en/
1-508-853-5000
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

That driver is based on the Allegro A3977: http://www.allegromicro.com/en/Products/Part_Numbers/3977/
If he wants, he could easily design his own PCB's for that driver chip with a few current sense resistors and capacitors. If not, xylotex makes a driver using the A3977 as well: http://www.xylotex.com /
On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 00:18:26 +0000, Zach_G wrote:

That looks like a very good candidate -- I'll dig into their data sheet soon.
--
Tim Wescott
Check out http://www.imshome.com/ Intelligent Motion Systems.
["Followup-To:" header set to sci.electronics.design.] Tim Wescott wrote:

Speaking of datasheets -- has anybody yet figured out how to find datasheets on Allegro's website?
robert
Tim Wescott wrote:

Is there a size constraint? I could easily do that with a 68HC11, some FETs and a suitable power supply; so could you.
Jerry
Jerry Avins wrote:

But they probably need some Monday next week ;-)
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 18:09:55 -0700, Joerg wrote:

Precisely. We're buying time to market by putting things together from modules as much as possible. At some point in the future we may decide on doing something like that as a cost reduction -- for now, being able to lash it all together from parts while we concentrate on the really unique parts of the system is driving us to purchase things at the highest level of integration that we can.
I'm not sure you could achieve nice microstepping with a 68HC11, but one could certainly do it with some of the more modern chips with richer PWM resources.
--
Tim Wescott
Tim Wescott wrote:

If it's like in the med devices biz the trick is to create some universally useful blocks, along with tested avenues for rapid prototyping. But that takes time and resources to set up.

Looks more like an FPGA job. If noise isn't an issue the Allegro chips do a fine job. I can't really use them though because the T-off times flop around like crazy.