Dragster Subs

I hauled one of those 6.5 HP Sears compressors home for my neighbor about a year ago. While he was taking care of the paper work, I was visiting with an older knowledgeable Sears person. I asked him how they could call that 6.5 HP. He winked knowingly and said, "Them are Madison Avenue horsepower."

- Tim -

Reply to
No Spam

No complaint about correcting the use of engineering terminology per se. Just the rude flaming that seems to come with it.

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom

Indeed. The correction was welcome. I mis-spoke and correcting that was the right thing to do. It was the added flames that were wrong. People make mistakes.

Reply to
Guy Macon

Reply to
Edward Steele

Ok, my apologies! The audiophools tend to be one of my hot- buttons. When audio gets mixed with silly terminology it tends to trigger a reaction. Peace!

...and may your speakers sound "liquid" with your silver lutz wire. ;-)

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

Oh, my! ...and I just promised that I wouldn't go ballistic on an audiophool again.

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

Well that has got to be the funniest I have seen for the month.

You can be sure of one thing on this NG....... BAD AND RUBBISH ADVICE!!!!

Note: you can apply DC to a voicecoil.

IIRC RMS is not simply Peak power *0.707

Reply to
Avanti

or is it 'litz' wire???

;-)

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom

Your marketing department is just so 90's. ;-)

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

Heck Keith, I was still sitting here simply trying to figure out what a "Dragster Sub" actually is thinking about nitro based fuels, some sort of cool styling, or even a restored, 1939 chrome plated block Ford roadster.

Are you now telling me that it's nothing more creative and appealing than one of those damned, obnoxious, over-powered ghetto blaster audio systems that PRs and other minorities install in their cars and drown-out the backgound and demonstrate to the world that they are from the ghetto and hence have absolutely no class?

Those damn, obnoxious things that when they pass you (as cretins like these are compelled to do), you tend to believe for a moment that you have a serious engine or exhaust problem, but then realize that this obnoxious noise is coming from the car passing you!

Harry C.

Reply to
Harry Conover

Nah! I suspected we weren't talking about a testosterone filled Sandwich, or a souped-up chrome-plated nuke-powered Ohio-class boomer. ...just a simple target for road-kill.

No class? I thought it was a demonstration of no ears (or the lack of interest in said ears).

Nah! Even with three cylinders out, in hurricane winds, cars don't rock as much. When things move, it's not mechanics, winds, nor Richter, simply (soon to be) deaf kidz.

Reply to
Keith R. Williams

Yup, this is how one of the theil small parameters is measured. They apply DC to the coil and measure the actual mechanical force the coil can apply.

RMS is exactly .707 * the peak voltage of a wave. Note that some companies advertise peak power as both sides of a sine wave added together.

eg. A sub running at 800 watts peak would have 400 watts on one side of the wave and 283 watts RMS. If a sub can take an advertised 400 watts RMS, then technically it can take a peak to peak wattage of 1131.5 watts.

Just my $,02 of course

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron

Exactly sqrt(2) (approximately .707), true for perfect sine waves.

Oh, my! Watts RMS is nonsensical. Peak watts is nonsensical in reality. Sure one can multiply instantaneous I*V, but it's temperature that kills such things. Average power is of importance (averaged over the thermal time constant of the device).

Reply to
Keith R. Williams