electrolosis and pressure

Can anyone tell me if the amount of electrical energy needed to break down water to its components varies with the pressure under which the process is taking place. In other words, if you used a sealed unit to produce oxygen and hydrogen, would the current or voltage have to increase as the pressure in the vessel increased.

Thanks

rq

Reply to
RQ

in article GwRad.702050$M95.473430@pd7tw1no, RQ at snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca wrote on

10/12/04 7:05 AM:

Of course it does. There is conservation of energy. But for what I would consider reasonable pressure, the amount is small. In most cases, the potential difference used in the electrolytic cell is way in excess of the amount required to disassociate the water. That excess energy will show up as heat.

Bill

Reply to
Repeating Rifle