Hearing hazards to electricians

How big of a threat to hearing is being an electrician? I'm just curious, cause i'm thinking about going into the field instead of
computer networking and I'm pretty obsessive about preserving my hearing, being a musician.

Really all depends on you the listener. Do not buy OTC hearing protection! Go get fitted for your own customized hearing protection. Fifty dollars later and you are safe...to a point.
psx1337 wrote:

We electricians use jack hammers to drive ground rods, tear out old concrete, and to dig our ditches. OSHA requires hearing protection when noise is above 85 decibels as I recall, but if you want to save your high frequencies use ear protection whenever working around noise. I used a jack hammer in 1962 before OSHA and we didn't use hearing protection in those days. What did you say? Yes, all my high frequencies are gone.
snipped-for-privacy@electrician2.com wrote:

Construction is generally a loud place. If there are power tools running use some kind of hearing protection. If nothing else use the foam plugs. You can keep them in your pocket when you don't need them. There are also eye hazards. Stuff flies around. Get some safety glasses and don't hesitate to use them. I use both now but I have the same problem as the other poster with my "highs". I didn't start with the hearing protection soon enough.
| How big of a threat to hearing is being an electrician? I'm just | curious, cause i'm thinking about going into the field instead of | computer networking and I'm pretty obsessive about preserving my | hearing, being a musician.
Even in computer networking, you can have a lot of equipment noise. More protection can help. I usually carry along the same double protection as I use at the gun range. I also have noise cancelling headphones for working at a desk (I have 4 computers nearby at home, so it helps).