New audiophile device brought to our attention

Oddly enough, Hagerman (presumably the designer of this gadget) has made some more-than-decent, well-designed and cost-effective phono preamp designs over the years. Wonder what happened.
Peace, Paul

He realised there were an awful lot of gullible audiophools out there that had money to spend?
Phildo

Like I said. It is a worthless piece of shit designed merely to suck cash away from utter idiots. It is 100% useless, and contains *maybe* $20 worth of parts, and that is on the low volume price schedule.

Probably. During college, I designed and built and ambience and presence meter. It didn't do anything useful but was quite impressive with all the switches, 10 turn pots, meters, flashing lights, b&w coil, and warning labels plastered all over the minibox. I would walk around running vague "tests" which were great for getting me into places where I really didn't belong. Act preoccupied and keep your eyes on the meters, and you can go almost anywhere. When I eventually threw together a resume, I needed some filler, so I added a few lines on the ambience and presence meter. During subsequent interviews, I could tell which engineers and managers had a clue if they asked what the hell I was actually measuring.
Anyway, I like the idea of the audio conditioner. It probably doesn't do much for the electronics, but perhaps the suspension in my loudspeakers could use some loosening up.
Tune in, turn on, burn out.
# 831-336-2558 snipped-for-privacy@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Come on, Jeff. Everyone in the field of electronics knows a gullibility meter when they see one.
prove it.

I also built a virginity meter in college, but this is a family newsgroup, so I won't go there.
The ambience and presence meter had a practical basis. In the 1960's, the various magazines (Popular Electronics, Radio Electronics, etc) had discovered hi-fi. Articles on the topic were epidemic and interest was high. Many of the articles used superlatives that defied definition and measurement. "The amplifier has a velvet texture to the strings", was typical. Ambience and presence were mentioned so often in these articles, that I decided it was time to cash in and build a suitable measurement instrument. The plan was to supply a line of similar instruments, suitable for mass consumption. My friends and advisors universally agreed that it was a terrible idea, which provided the necessary incentive. I wasn't quite sure what it was going to actually measure, but that could be worked on after I designed the package. As with all my great ideas, I ran out of time, money, interest, or something, and never progressed beyond the initial prototype.
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Looks like I over estimated your sense of humor. :(
prove it.

Nothing's changed then.
MrT.

If everyone knew, the meter wouldn't work.

Yeah, but you can do that with a filament transformer.
Peace, Paul

Sure, but it's boring. I'd rather listen to Jaco Pastorius records for a similar effect. --scott

Just make sure it doesn't play a lot of 8Hz, or *you'll* be the one loosened up! ;o)
Tim
-- Deep Fryer: A very philosophical monk. Website @ http://webpages.charter.net/dawill/tmoranwms
Originally posted to alt.electrical.engineering but deserving a larger audience: http://tinyurl.com/2hnnwx
such a killer "app", jest kant do wit out it! itz da godz on-es trooth, the worldz a better plaze cuz of gajets like this,
(at least for the marketing guys!)
weed heads and crak snorters will dvert their cash to get these, i am sure!
how fast can the asians crank these out, since they now loosin the lead paint war against us! ;-))

Rane spoofs themselves - http://www.rane.com/pdf/old/pi14dat.pdf
Check out the bass on this preamp -
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/petealcock/MackieSRM150.jpg
Regulate that Resonance! - http://www.shunmook.com/text1.htm
Lumpy
You were the Tidy Bowl Guy? Yes. I'm cleaning your bathroom bowl. www.lumpyvoice.org
On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 20:37:09 -0700, "Lumpy"

Bwuahahahaha! Funny.

Mmmm... OK

Bwuahahahaha! And to think... they are NOT spoofing themselves!
oboy oboy oboy, i jes gotta get sum uf dem!
i use my food muney to get dem if need be!
i'll be da only one in da neybor hud wit it and be the king of the blok!
sheesh, i wonder if Burma/Myanmar can supply enough heroin to substantiate all this acoustic behavior?