Poor life from 50 watt GU-10 halogens

Hi, Hope someone can help with some advice: I have several light fittings employing variously 3 & 4 of these lamps. I have tried several brands, mostly of Asian manufacture, & I seem to achieve a life of only a few hundred hours before failure. Supply is 240VAC, Queensland Australia. Brand I tried last is: "Firton" - Dichoic lamp, 51mm GU10+C, 260V, 50W,

2000h long life. Bulb cannot be touched due to glass encapsulation. Any ideas?

Pete

Reply to
peterlonz

What type of environment are the fixtures in?

Reply to
Gerald Lucas

add a dimmer?

Reply to
TimPerry

These mains halogen lamps never seem to last very long, I think the longest lamp hour lamp you can buy is a xenon which is 4500hrs, compare that to 12000hours on 12v dichroics and you can see why I don't tend to recommend them much, although you do have no transformers to go wrong!

The superstores in the UK are all biasing towards the mains lamps ( I wonder why?!) and so a lot of consumers are buying the cheaper fittings and then after replacing the lamps about 3 times I get call outs saying that they don't last very long and there must be something wrong with the supply.......

I suggest go 12v for a crisper light and much improved lamp life!

Or else buy philips twistline pro which are about as longlife as you can get in that cap!

Soft start dimmers help but not if the customer leaves them below 50% for long times as that tends to reduce lamp life!

miniman

Reply to
miniman