So how many digital channels does on TV analog signal eat up?

As I recall a Satellite downlink took about 960 analog voice channels
or could do one TV channel. We squeezed in a digital weather channel
at the edge back then in 1974. So today how many digital channels
will our government be able to auction off after we go to digital TV?
I am sure that is what it is all about, although our governemnt will
tell the public it is because during 9/11 the firefighters had bad
communciations.
Reply to
Gerald Newton