Still possible to get UK plug into standard light pendant

Andy writed in news:Xns97B678F2569BA74C1H4@127.0.0.1:

So is it legal or not to install Euro Schuko sockets in a UK house - if the answer is 'yes it's legal' - must they be wired according to UK (ring main) standards (in which case AFAIUI - possibly dangerous) or only on a radial circuit?

Reply to
Mike the Unshavable

The message from "David Lee" contains these words:

Or make one from a dead light bulb and some epoxy and a bit of flex. After all, this is uk.deadify-yourself.

Reply to
Guy King

Someone on the IEE (sorry IET) forums claimed that their BCO said he would accept a Part P job done partly to German VDE100, specifically a schuko in the bathroom, which is apprently allowed under German regs, with caveats (30mA or lower RCD, 16A MCB, correct zone, fed from same CU as lights etc).

Don't think anyone's claimed to have put it to the test yet.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

A dead CFL will give a suitable cap to sloder two wires to.

Reply to
<me9

I've got one like that on a lead for my line earth loop tester so thatI can use a lighting circuit (non RCD protected) to get an indication of the earthing quality of RCD perotected circuits. I really should update it. My megger is a nice one in an oak box, and takes ages to get up to speed.

Reply to
<me9

In message , snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net writes

You really want to treat yourself to a new earth loop impedance tester. They've had units that don't trip RCD's for years.

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

Oh what a magazine that was! My dad got it and I always read it vidly.

A Teasmade! What a product!

It takes you back..................

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I read it avidly as well......

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

sockets are allowed in bathrooms anyway, they just have to meet some requirements.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

In article , snipped-for-privacy@care2.com writes

Still available for sale in Woolworths in about 1983. I know, 'cos I bought one (and probably still have it somewhere.) It was white, and the cap had a nylon locking screw to prevent it coming undone and exposing the screw terminals during removal from the lampholder.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I quote here OMD's (Orchestral Manouvres in the Dark) Electricity.

Electricity

I want some energy

the ultimate discovery

electric blue for me

never more to be free

electricity

nuclear and hep

cut fuels from the sea

wasted electricity

I want some energy

electricity

all we need is to learn to save

and if were made to throw away

it doesn't change the city cost

the alternative is only one

the final source of energy

solar electricity

electricity

electricity

electricity

electricity

electricity

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Although I don't agree with solar electricity;for me the future lies in thermonuclear fusion.

-- Tzortzakakis Dimitrios major in electrical engineering,freelance electrician

542nd mechanized infantry batallion dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr
Reply to
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

I've started already! :-)

In fact what I want to do is reposition my TV aerial which is in the loft. It has been really hard getting the right position for the aerial and I need the TV to be there as I adjust its direction and position.

As the TV has no earth then I figured it's ok to run it off one of the hanging lights in the loft (there are no mains points there). The TV is a portable and uses about 70W when steady so the current loading should be ok.

Reply to
Andy

Very nice. And in cool white too. And no Bakelite in sight either. I'm jealous!

Reply to
Andy

Andy...

I'm sure that you will be able to tell me why it's not a sensible suggestion - but what on earth is wrong with a 13amp extension lead? It would be much safer and much more useful.

David

Reply to
David Lee

Stick a 13 amp socket fed off the lighting circuit via a FCU with a 3 amp fuse and clearly label the FCU and socket with a warning about max loading.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Mon, 01 May 2006 22:13:03 +0100,it is alleged that Tim S spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

My understanding of Part Pee is that it states somewhere (I haven't actually read it because it annoys me too much) that you should wire to BS (Whatever they renamed the IEE regs to) *OR* an equivalent national standard, in which case, the BCO would have no choice but to pass the installation.

Reply to
Chip

Ah! There's my secret plan to have a mains powered radio when I am working in the loft (it's lit, and clean so I use it like a sort of shed).

I could spur from the lighting circuit to a wall socket but that's really asking for trouble one day.

Reply to
Andy

Provided your radio is double-insulated and doesn't require an earth then you could fit a 2-pin plug and install a shaver socket. AFAIK they are still permitted on a lighting circuit. However I ran a spur up from a socket in one of my bedrooms, when I was decorating, to a double in the loft - problem solved.

David

Reply to
David Lee

ISTR seeing some Argos light fittings that came with such a plug on. The idea was the fitting goes over the existing pendant and plugs into it, thus no wiring abilty needed. This was maybe 3 years ago

NT

Reply to
meow2222