Still possible to get UK plug into standard light pendant

I am in the UK.
If I wanted electrical power from an ordinary ceiling lampholder like one of these:
http://www.connectstores.com/P.E.D/images/Cl003.jpg
http://cpc.farnell.com/productimages/cpc/standard/7947676.jpg
then it used to be possible to get cyclindrical electrical plug which bayonetted into the lampholder. A couple of wires could be attached to that plug and that way it was possible to use power from the light socket.
Are such things still available?
Or have they been outlawed by some safety regulations?

These bayonet cap adaptors were probably outlawed for safety reasons: - liable to overloading misuse, no earth available and polarity not gauranteed.
Jaymack
John McLean wrote...

I haven't seen one available for a long time. In the early days of this new-fangled "electric", houses often only had wiring for lighting so these adapters were used for everthing else - including electric irons and room heaters! More recently BC to two-pin adapters tended to be supplied with electric shavers so that you could plug in to a desk lamp in a hotel room. I still have one of these in perfect condition on my desk as I type! Apart from the lack of earth and indeterminate polarity you need to remember that lighting circuits are usually fused at 5amp for the entire circuit and so the amount of power you could draw is very limited. However I do remember we used BC plugs and sockets to extend strings of christmas tree lights when I was a kid.
David
writes

Yup. People overloaded the lighting circuits then beefed up the fuse and burnt their house down.
--
Clive Mitchell
http://www.bigclive.com
Andy wrote:

They are not available for the simple reason that they never got the appropriate BS approval.
As to why they were possibly never put forward for approval - well the rest of the thread answers that :)
They are not intrinsically unsafe, it's the stupid things that some people used them for without thinking, irons, heaters etc. - given they were unfused, and rewireable fuses were common at the CU + handy pack of 5A/15A/30A fusewire hanging on a nail encouraged the unthinkable...
Our Christmas tree lights used to be terminated in one of these and plugged in a handy lamp, sometimes using the other great now-unavailable item, the 1:2 BC adaptor. Heh.
Cheers
Tim
Andy wrote:

Yes (on ebay) and yes.
Owain
http://tinyurl.com/hdcjd
I bought a few of these from a local hardware shop a few years back. They're great for powering xmas lights, especially as you can turn them on/off from the light switch. Also worked well for powering my mirror ball motor.
I'm sure I've seen some old pictures of a woman doing her ironing and the iron connected the main room light via one of these conectors!!!
http://www.74simon.co.uk/plugs.html
Mazz

That last link is great. But he doesn't have the type I last used which was just a bayonet adapter from which a lead came out.
The web page shows a more upmarket one where you can actually insert a two pin plug into the back of the bayonet adapter.
Now if I can't get one then, hmmm, it's almost like one of Clive's Projects (see sci.engr.lighting) to convert a lightbulb's own bayonet plug into one of these!!!. Oh no. :-)
Andy wrote...

Andy
If you really want one then keep your eyes open in Junk and Charity shops and car boot sales. Look out for old electric shavers and if you're lucky then you may find one with a BC to two-pin adapter accessory (my Father used to have one). You'll probably want the throw the manky old shaver itself in the skip PDQ though!
David
contains these words:

Or make one from a dead light bulb and some epoxy and a bit of flex. After all, this is uk.deadify-yourself.
--
Skipweasel
On 1 May,

A dead CFL will give a suitable cap to sloder two wires to.
--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

I've started already! :-)
In fact what I want to do is reposition my TV aerial which is in the loft. It has been really hard getting the right position for the aerial and I need the TV to be there as I adjust its direction and position.
As the TV has no earth then I figured it's ok to run it off one of the hanging lights in the loft (there are no mains points there). The TV is a portable and uses about 70W when steady so the current loading should be ok.
Andy...

I'm sure that you will be able to tell me why it's not a sensible suggestion - but what on earth is wrong with a 13amp extension lead? It would be much safer and much more useful.
David
On 02 May 2006, David

Ah! There's my secret plan to have a mains powered radio when I am working in the loft (it's lit, and clean so I use it like a sort of shed).
I could spur from the lighting circuit to a wall socket but that's really asking for trouble one day.
Andy wrote...

Provided your radio is double-insulated and doesn't require an earth then you could fit a 2-pin plug and install a shaver socket. AFAIK they are still permitted on a lighting circuit. However I ran a spur up from a socket in one of my bedrooms, when I was decorating, to a double in the loft - problem solved.
David

Stick a 13 amp socket fed off the lighting circuit via a FCU with a 3 amp fuse and clearly label the FCU and socket with a warning about max loading.
--
*If all is not lost, where the hell is it?

writes

The monstrosity of great luminosity was inspired by the old two way BC adapters. They would have a new lease of life these days with the lightweight CFL's.
--
Clive Mitchell
http://www.bigclive.com
Andy wrote:

DIY books of the 1920s would tell you to turn one up on the lathe yourself out of cocus-wood with brass studding for the contacts.
I know I've got a "how to make an electric kettle" article somewhere.
Owain

My Dad did that once...think it was inspired by something in Practical Mechanics!
It was a cuboid thing made from copper sheet, presumably brazed or something. Standard electric kettle element, filler cap and a curved copper pipe out of the top. Added an oven timer from an electric cooker (easy to come by as he worked for a cooker company - Tricity) and a teapot and a built in table lamp, home made again. Oh, and a mains powered buzzer.
Voila! A D-I-Y- Teasmade! My parents used it for years.
Bob Eager wrote:

Oh what a magazine that was! My dad got it and I always read it vidly.

A Teasmade! What a product!
It takes you back..................
--
Dave