The perils of "search & replace" in documentation.

It's the bridle, or rather the headstall.

Reply to
Mike Lyle

Bridle.

Reply to
tony cooper

There were something like 14 female students at WPI when I started there. 12 more than the year before. For a good time call: Pleasant Pi.

Matthew

Reply to
Matthew L. Martin

Yes, I don't think many of her fellow engineering undergrads were also

30-odd-year-old mothers of two. She was the first female engineer hired by Mass Electric.

Hmm, while I'm thinking of it, here's an article about her from a few years ago:

-jwgh

Reply to
Jacob W. Haller

We're playin' pool, and that starts with a P...

What? Did you eat the brown acid?

Reply to
Spurious Response

Guess you'll have to wait for the next iteration.

Reply to
Spurious Response

Somehow that is funny no matter which way it appears that it was meant.

Reply to
Spurious Response

Maybe... but do you understand why I might?

Is that a sentence ?

Reply to
Spurious Response

Perhaps, but I can't think of the right smiley at this time. ;-]

Reply to
Spurious Response

Batter, batter.. shwiiiiing!

Reply to
Spurious Response

That is sooooooo funny!

Reply to
Spurious Response

Is that your unbridled response?

Reply to
Spurious Response

Certainly. I don't horse around.

I wonder how that phrase came to be. "Don't horse around" is usually used to mean that a) you shouldn't delay in making a decision or taking an action, or b) you shouldn't act playfully rough.

Horses don't seem particularly prone to being unable to make a decision. Horses play around - roughly, but because of their size more than anything else - but no more than other animals. "Don't cat around" would better describe goofy playing, but that phrase has an entirely different meaning.

Why "horse"? Will someone take the bit in their teeth and run...errr, gallop...with this? Canterurt.

Reply to
tony cooper

You're mixing up your books. Haemorrhoids are caused by the rapes of grot.

Reply to
Peter Moylan

These are the times that try mens' holes...

Reply to
Spurious Response

I agree with all those comments.

Reply to
Peter Duncanson

Life insurance.

Reply to
Adam Funk

I'll say. (But for entirely different reasons, Lz). DC

Reply to
Django Cat

Did you see the prog about his adopted cheetahs?

DC, getting emotional again

Reply to
Django Cat

tony cooper wrote: [...]

I've always assumed that the AmE "horse around" was just a version of "horseplay". OED's earliest example is from 1928, and from a glossary at that, so it's probably quite recent. Of "horseplay", OED, surprisingly, doesn't offer a derivation. I'd say messing about on horses would necessarily be clumsy and boisterous, but it's easy enough to believe that idea had faded by 1928.

I don't think the Dictionary is at its best here. It gives us "1. Play in which a horse is used or takes part; theatrical horsemanship. Also transf. Obs." but I'm not at all clear how the examples match the definitions.

It's better on the modern sense: "2. Rough, coarse, or boisterous play, passing the bounds of propriety. " There's an amusing pairing of quotations, too: ". . . 1700 DRYDEN Fables Pref. Wks. (Globe) 506 He [Collier] is too much given to horse-play in his raillery. . . 1856 MASSON Ess. iv. 121 Dryden's best comic attempts were but heavy horse-play." These are sandwiched around a typically Polonial remark from Chesterfield: "1749 CHESTERFIELD Lett. (1792) II. clxxix. 166 No aukward overturns of glasses, plates, and salt-cellars; no horse-play."

Reply to
Mike Lyle