The perils of "search & replace" in documentation.

The fact that OB is, as you rightly say, charming, doesn't stop me appreciating the finer points of Kate Humble. Or a number of other women for that matter.

Reply to
Amethyst Deceiver

No, it's a portmanteau of "vice-versa", "arse-about-face", etc, etc, with a nod to "topsy-turvy". I don't think I invented it: it feels like ordinary BrE to me.

Reply to
Mike Lyle

Methinks it to be quite old. Likely an old rancher raising horses came up with it, and it worked it's way into that locale's disciplinarian minded culture, like a schoolroom in a child's early years, and flowered into what we have today.

It certainly had nothing to do with the basketball game we used to play (horse).

Reply to
Spurious Response

What an impressive posting.

Reply to
Mark Wallace

I'm impressed. That's more perceptive than I expected from you.

Er... No. OK, so you've perceived something, but you haven't understood it. Deduct 3 "impressed" points from the "I'm impressed", above.

Nothing self-congratulary there (bear in mind that I'm not mindlessly trolling, so I don't look for "wins"). A statement of fact is not necessarily "self-congratulatory"; do you see any bragging in my statement? I simply stated a fact, and pointed to evidence which confirms the fact. I mentioned how trolls are treated here, in a group where language usage is everything.

I'm a professional writer of thirty years standing. We all feel the same about bookpro. That should be explanation enough. God only knows what BS she's been feeding you, but I would suggest that you take it with a couple of kilos of salt.

Reply to
Mark Wallace

Don't be silly. Number Six is a number.

Reply to
Mark Wallace

Welcome to alt.usage.english.

Reply to
Mark Wallace

Don't confuse them, Mark.

Reply to
mUs1Ka

Welcome to Ark.Unfortunately, you are also allowed.

Reply to
77ogrA

Someone noticed.

Reply to
Mark Wallace

Classic non sequitur.

-- Chris McG. Harming humanity since 1951. "Uh-oh. Looners." -- Darla

Reply to
Chris McGonnell

As if a nobody like Mark Wallace could confuse a sheep. Although he gets confused trying to discover which is his ass and which is a hole in the ground.

-- Chris McG. Harming humanity since 1951. "Uh-oh. Looners." -- Darla

Reply to
Chris McGonnell

So is that. What are you trying to say?

But, in point of fact, what I posted was not a non sequitur; it was an honest, sarcastic comment.

Whatserface@bookpro's response to my reply to her vicious, abrasive, scathing posting was, in fact, /incredibly/ unimpressive.

But she's bookpro. It probably took her a week to write her initial posting, so any rapid response from her was bound to be unimpressive.

Reply to
Mark Wallace

No clu>Don't confuse them, Mark.

You want he should INfuse them? With what? And I'm sure there is such a PROfusion that an INfusion would be unfeasible.

Not to mention (although I shall), when they congregate, merely to conform to some contemperaneous congratulatory congress of contention, it leaves a convoluted contrail of confounded cohorts at this fine concourse.

Still, I profess to proliferating a progression of profligate, prohibitive pronouncements of my own, so it's no skin off my proboscis, as it were.

Mark Edwards

Reply to
Mark Edwards

Number Seven was a donkey.

Reply to
Tonto Goldstein

"Chris McGonnell" wrote

Why are you posting this to ark, McGonnell?

--oTTo--

Reply to
Otto Bahn

"Mark Edwards" wrote

Please -- this is a family newsgroup, and children could be reading what you write.

--oTTo--

Reply to
Otto Bahn

Well, it did allow him to have the last word. For a while.

BW

Reply to
barbara

Well, it's pretty obvious that your only reason for posting that was to try to have the last word.

Why not say something intelligent?

Oh, sorry. Forgot you were bookpro.

Nice web-site, BTW.

Reply to