The perils of "search & replace" in documentation.

On 2007-06-15, Kevin S Wilson wrote:

Mine just says "Newsfroups", which I think is a symlink to "Chat_rooms".

Don't walk under it!
--
"I worry about my child and the Internet all the time, even though
she's too young to have logged on yet. Here's what I worry about. I

Leaning toward it? Looks to me like you're footing it.

Climb up it, and lean back hard. Make sure there is lots of concrete below.
NOT A CHAT ROOM, IDIOT.
On 2007-06-15, Otto Bahn wrote:

Mine too!
--
Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp
out of the blue, no explanation.

Golly, but you sparkies /really/ understand how these electric-type computer thingies work, don't you.
Shouldn't you be changing a fuse, or something?

ITYM "computational appliance." HTH BBQ and God bless.
--
Shelly
http://cat-sidh.net (the Mothership)

That wouldn't work in the US. Try "appliancement computationalisticwise".

I'm not a electrician, Mark, just an old country tinkerer.

I got an old PDP 11 up by using parts from two machines I got at surplus. I think I can handle a fuse.
--oTTo--
wrote

The last guy who tinkered in old countries ended up shooting himself in a bunker.

I think it's sad that we don't do that kind of thing, any more. I don't even change sound or video cards, these days; I "upgrade" by buying a new machine. I kinda miss the hassle of making new hardware work.

You ever watch Star Trek?
--oTTo--
On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 00:00:29 +0200, Mark Wallace wrote:

Quit insulting our president, you Islamist-Fascist!

So you're not an engineer, Marky? BTW, "Sparks" is what your Grampa called a naval radio operator. Real engineers are called "Casey."
-- Chris McG. Harming humanity since 1951. "Uh-oh. Looners." -- Darla

wrote

Your president?
I have no idea where you are.
Do you mean the Texan?
If you feel I have insulted him, and it matters to you, then I apologise, but I feel that it is impossible to insult such a person.

You can't trust the Jones boys; they never pay for their sandwiches. Not even on Thursday.
On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 21:25:15 +0200, Mark Wallace wrote:

No, the one born in Connecticut, educated in Connecticut, and *pretending* he's a Texan.

Guantanamo Bay awaits you, Tholen bin Laden.

Jones? "Casey" is from Casey Stengel, a fine electrical engineer who perfected the cathode-ray tube.
He had nothing to do with classical music.
-- Chris McG. Harming humanity since 1951. "Uh-oh. Looners." -- Darla

You mean "got a diploma in Connecticut".
--
- Doctroid Doctroid Holmes
It's too confused to make sense, so let's make nonsense.
Doctroid wrote:

My resume says I was educated at WPI and took graduate courses there. All of this is true. I *never* claim that I earned a degree there.
Matthew
--
I'm a consultant. If you want an opinion I'll sell you one.
Which one do you want?

Really? What years?

If you didn't, who did?
--
- Doctroid Doctroid Holmes
It's too confused to make sense, so let's make nonsense.
Doctroid wrote:

Undergrad '69-'71
Grad courses '76

Claim? Many thousands, but not me. Earn a degree? Many thousands fewer, I fear.
Many people assume that I did get a BS. I correct them if they mention it.
I stopped taking graduate courses when I realized that I couldn't afford the cut in pay that a Masters degree would bring.
Matthew
--
I'm a consultant. If you want an opinion I'll sell you one.
Which one do you want?

Undergrad, '73-'77. Huh.
Got a degree. Whether I earned it or not is for others to decide.
--
- Doctroid Doctroid Holmes
It's too confused to make sense, so let's make nonsense.
Doctroid wrote:

What temperature? What scale?

I was a CS major a year before it was offered. My work study program had me as an insultant in the keypunch archipelago. There is nothing like "helping" a Civil Engineering professor with four, two thousand card trays of FORTRAN snow melt model.
He showed me multiple pages of FORTRAN, explaining as he went. Then he stood bolt upright, said "Oh! SHIT!!!" and disappeared.
Earned my money that day, I did.
Matthew
--
I'm a consultant. If you want an opinion I'll sell you one.
Which one do you want?
On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 22:27:44 -0400, "Matthew L. Martin"

Bwuahahahahahaha!
All those cards and what do they mean today?
I wear two 4GB thumb drives around my neck, and have a 12GB FLAC - OGG player that dangles there as well.
Won't be long, I'll have a Dick Tracy styled video cell phone on my wrist. I was reading comic strips when you were punching out FORTRAN cards!
Give me an HD DVD ROM burner any day!
Send me to Mars and give me a data stream and a disc burner, and I'll be able to watch fresh movies throughout my trip!
The world has indeed come a long way... or not...
It's all relative.