The perils of "search & replace" in documentation.

On 2007-06-12, Otto Bahn wrote:

You missplet "trolls".
--
Due to digital rights management, my .sig is temporarily unavailable.
Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible. We apologise for

Uh, no. That was a reference to a Steinbeck novel.
--oTTo--

"Catch-22", right?
--
- Doctroid Doctroid Holmes
It's too confused to make sense, so let's make nonsense.

Good guess, but no.
--oTTo--
[snips]

No cluons were harmed when Doctroid wrote:

Probably not. That was Hemingway.
You do know that Steinbeck died before completing "Slaughterhouse Five", don't you?
Mark Edwards
--
Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 16:24:13 -0000, Mark Edwards

I doubt anyone knows, since he didn't even write it.
It was Kurt Vonnegut.
Great book. Great flic.

No one claimed he did. Steinbeck used a typewriter. (Now on display at San Jose State University).

It would've been better if Vonnegut had contented himself with completing Steinbeck's novel in Steinbeck's style, rather than trying to rewrite it in "Vonnegutese". Hemingway would've done a better job of it.
--
- Doctroid Doctroid Holmes
It's too confused to make sense, so let's make nonsense.

Semantical bullshit regarding the word "write".
So, you are saying that Steinbeck was not a "writer", but a "typer"?
Idiot!

So, it's OK if YOU say "rewrite", but I can't use the word "write"?
Take a hike.

If it was good enough for Truman Capote, it oughta be good enough for thou.

...wait a second, I'm getting a clue text message. It says it's for you.
Dave
--
\/David DeLaney posting from snipped-for-privacy@vic.com "It's not the pot that grows the flower

That's uncalled for. Steinbeck may not have been as smart as Ayn Rand, but he was no idiot.

Of course you can. You just DID.

Thanks, I just took one.
--
- Doctroid Doctroid Holmes
It's too confused to make sense, so let's make nonsense.
JackShephard wrote:

When you say "take a hike", do you mean "go out wandering, my knapsack on my back", or just "stop writing|typing before my brane explodes"?
--

"Truth matters, God doesn't & life sucks."

-- House, M.D.
On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 18:05:44 -0700, JackShephard
No, he's paraphrasing what Capote said about Steinbeck, on the "Tonight" show many years ago. If I recall correctly, he said, "That's not writing. That's typing."

*He* was Kurt Vonnegut.
--oTTo--
wrote

"He was Kurt Vonnegut who wrote Slaughterhouse Five"?
I think not.

Oh, he was some other Kurt Vonnegut then? Which one?
-jwgh
--
"'God damn, this banjo will make a club!'"
-- John Brunner, _No Other Gods But Me_ (1966)
Jacob W. Haller wrote:

The one who invented Post-its.
--

"Truth matters, God doesn't & life sucks."

-- House, M.D.

Do you mean "Tralfamador"?

If I meant that, I'd have said that.
--oTTo--

That's the feeling of pleasure one gets from viewing someone else stuck in a temporal loop, right?
Or maybe he meant "Zanzibar", come to think of it.
Dave
--
\/David DeLaney posting from snipped-for-privacy@vic.com "It's not the pot that grows the flower
David DeLaney wrote:

Who is standing there?
Matthew
--
I'm a consultant. If you want an opinion I'll sell you one.
Which one do you want?