Using CAS Latency = 2 Memory to Sub for CAS Latency = 3.

I have a telecommunications box with custom firmware that is specified to use a Crucial SODIMM memory part with the spec 256MB, non-parity, PC133, 3.3 volts, and CAS Latency = 3. Crucial no longer makes the part, and the replacement is identical in all respects except that CAS Latency = 2.

Can someone explain in what circumstances might the CAS Latency = 2 part not substitute well for the CAS Latency = 3 part?

Reply to
Will

Only entirely hypothetical ones. You could design something that wouldn't work with CAS 2 but would work with CAS 3, but it would have to be part of the spec as it wouldn't happen otherwise.

Reply to
Palindrome

It would seem to me like leaving his setting as is (at 3) would work as the faster, less latent memory would be taxed less.

So, the newer memory is "better", as it were, but you need not change your settings from the suggested, and should experience no failures.

Reply to
Spurious Response