Damn, I just can't get it! Part 2 (thanks)

Thanks for the various thoughts, comments, and criticisms. I get the impression that it's easier to get a magician to tell you how he made the elephant disappear than it is to get specifics out of a locksmith. :)

I've culled the following out of your replies:

1) Working a door lock is the same mechanics with better technique (kinda like driving a Chevy vs. an Indy car) than a padlock.

2) Maybe I don't have the inherent sensitivity and visualization to be any good at lock picking. A point I don't agree with 'cause I've always been the guy that gets called over when some mechanism needs to be manipulated without being visible.

3) Don't "lock" myself in to what I perceive to be the "right" approach. ie. experiment more.

4) Stack the deck and see if that helps develop the necessary "feel". As in <--Shiva-- >'s post recommending that I...... " get a door lock... a Kwikset, take it apart and put 1 pin stack in... pick it, FEEL IT... take the pin stack out and move it to another hole, try again...

put 2 stacks in... then 3... etc...."

I do know how to re-key a lock, BTW.

5) And , of course "Joe Kesselman"'s......

"If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Then give up. No sense in being a damned fool about it."

I do wonder if you guys are just jerking me around a little and standing in the background laughing quietly among yourselves. But I will be trying a few of your suggestions.

Thank You

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

IMMATERIAL...

WHY did I tell you to do that? there is a 'flaw' in the cylinders used in most doors...

the 5 pin holes are NOT in a straight line, necessarily... now WHAT diff would THAT make in picking?

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

in the background

The thread has some of the best information I have seen posted here for a long time.

Take it _all_ onboard and use it.

Of course there is a little 'poetic license' being used but it's primarily facts being offered.

Regards, ahl

Reply to
ahl

"Nomen Nescio" <Use-Author-Supplied-Address-Header@[127.1]>

---snip---

believe you got it summed up pretty good.

g'luck

Reply to
"Key

All the replies I've seen are on the up and up. The biggest difference between a padlock and a door lock is that you have to overcome the force of the padlock's spring with the wrench. Door knobs use very light pressure in comparison.

The key is to practice a lot and to remember what does work for you. Expect to spend a lot of hours practicing. A lot.

Daniel

Reply to
dbs__usenet

impression that it's

than it is to get

This is the best collection of answers about "lockpicking" I have seen on here. Lots of good truthful answers. Notice not one mention of a hairdryer? The group must be feeling charitable for the holidays.

By the way Happy Holidays to all on the group!

Don

in the background

Reply to
no spam

From: dbs_ snipped-for-privacy@tanj.com

I meant for that comment to come off as a little light humor. No offense intended. I really do appreciate any advice those that "can do" give to someone like me who "can't do".........yet.

My thanks to all and the best of the holiday season.

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

From: --Shiva-- snipped-for-privacy@abuse.net

I think you took that wrong. I was more pointing out that I understand what you're getting at and have some knowledge of locks as opposed to just being some idiot jamming picks in the lock and wondering why they don't open as easy as they do on the TV. I do very much appreciate the suggestion.

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

I am new here and also im new to locksmithing. I am taking the Foley-Belsaw course and I just had to say everything I saw here was all up and up. I have been practicing my lock picking and have done ok I think. I even picked a Schlage dore lock. WOW so easy.. Then only to find out it was masterkeyd.

Hint....

Mike C

Reply to
Mike C

Assuming that you're posting about picking locks it really isn't rocket science or magic. Just practice.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

From: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Putyourspamhere)

Rocket Science I can handle, I'm a Mechanical Engineer. As a matter of fact, everytime the Space Shuttle launches, a few lines of computer code that I wrote as a student almost

30 years ago is still used to guide it into the proper orbit. I'm a pretty fair magician, too. But I'm totally useless if someone locks their keys in their house. <g>

I will keep trying though. And you folks have given me a few new directions to try. Thanks again.

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

---snip---

isn't rocket science

then more practice..

happy holidays all

Reply to
"Key

---snip---

Thanks Don same to you & yours

Reply to
"Key

I bet the first time you sat down and tried to design a computer program it was alot harder than it is now. It will be the same for picking locks.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

student almost

fair magician, too.

Might as well put my 2c in. (1) The vast majority of locks will pick much easier with a shot of WD40 up the key hole. (2) The correct pressure on your tension wrench is paramount to you success. The amount of pressure I use on nearly all locks is equivalent to the pressure used to hold a butterflies wings together without hurting him. Get my drift ?. Cheers.

Reply to
Steve Paris

discussion long time past said lighter fluid worked better.. gives a 'thin film' between the pins, and helps increase your odds a bit. not that wd 40 is good. used it last night on a bedroom door that got locked... cylinder was upside down as well, tried a bit, and no luck, sprayed it, stuck the pick in, and it was picked. --Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--