Monarch Aluminium Door Lock/Bolts

Help please - I have a problem with the lock/bolts fitted to my Monarch Aluminium double glazed door of about 25-28 years old. The handle on the outside when lifted up no longer moves the top and bottom bolts across but the inside handle does (the key still operates the lock). I am trying to take the lock mechanism out for replacement but cannot find how to remove the handles and then the locking mechanism. I have taken the small grub screws out but this does not release the handles. The lock is stamped Union 980 or 98C.

Any help or suggestions as to how to remove it would be most appreciated.

Remove NONSENSE to email direct.

Dave

Reply to
diddyNONSENSE

Hi Dave, From memory these locks do not use what is called a split follower. If when the lock was working correctly and you moved one of the handles upwards, the other would move too. If not is is a split follower. I recall (and here's the bad news) that the follower bar (the square shaft between the handles) can become well and truly stuck due to corrosion whcih is what I think your problem is in removing them. Many times in the past I have had to cut one of the handles off to remove the lock case. If it is not a split follower type, chances are the fault you are describing is down to a breakage in the outer handle or the follower has moved inwards and is no longer connecting. In the first instance you will have to get the handles off. The only advise I can offer is to try something like Plus Gas and soak the area where the follower engages the back of the handle but this can be very difficult to get at. In theory the inner handle should be easier to remove and you may have to use a lever under the handle plate (using something to spread the load so you dont damage the door) If you get the handles off, let me know and we can take it from there.

Regards

Reply to
lockman49

Hi Lockman49,

Thanks for the advice, now I know the technical term it is a split follower as each handle always moved separately. I will soak the area in WD40 over the weekend and attempt to remove the handles on Monday (don't want to be insecure if something goes wrong over the weekend). I will undate after that. Many thanks again.

Dave

Reply to
diddyNONSENSE

Hi Dave,

There is another possibility: Are the handles in line when viewed side on (is one above the other or at the same height). If different you could have a twin follower lock whereby each handle has its own follower in the lock casing. If so the lock casing will be the cause of your troubles. Its a long time since I have worked on one of these and Im pretty sure it wont be a twin follower.

Regards

Reply to
lockman49

Hi Lockman49

Thanks again for the info, both handles are in line viewed from the side. The outer handle just turns full circle without doing anything.

Dave

Reply to
diddy

And un the US what our british friend describes would be known as a split spindle.

As you appear to be describing a patio door lock, I asume this is a mortise lock. Usually the trim is retained by screws holding the trim plates on and perhaps by set screws on the handles themselves, or both.

If the lock cylinder is a euro style profile cylinder, there will be a long screw that needs to be removed from the side of the door. It will be nearly in line with the key hole, and there is usually two other screws that retain the lock inside the door from the edge.

Another possability is that there is full length trim plate running the height of the door.

If you are still having trouble, I would suggest taking a picture of the lock and we can probably give you some more specific advice.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf