Money Question

For those of you who have people working for you, or those who are working for someone else, I have a question.

I'm looking to bring someone on board that has his own equipment, but needs the extra work. Since I'm going to be offering him pay based on commision, what is the average out there? I honestly have no idea.

Thanks in advance.

Jack Allied Lock & Security, Inc. Atlanta, GA

Reply to
Jack

When I did commission work for one locksmith, I had all tools, equipment, keys, etc. I got paid 70% on labour and nothing on parts. Just straight stock replacement.

Other locksmiths only pay 50% on labour and nothing on parts.

If you have to supply any tools, phones, blanks, locks, parts, the commission should be 50% or so.

I think it would be so much more fair though if a commission was paid on materials. Instead of trying to maximize profits on an old lock by putting a lot of time into the lock. The job could be done better and more professionally by replacing the lock. But if there's no commission to be made, the technician will sell the cheapest lock to make the quickest sale to get out of there faster.

Reply to
MonkeyWithATypewriter.com

we sub-contract work. if the guy has all his own tools and van you can sub-contract him.

60% of the profit for him and he gets his parts from you. 40% to you. he has to (at least in my state) have all his won tools. he can't use any of your tools. all you can do is give him the job and agree on percentage and the time to have the job completed. to be true sub-contract, you can not tell him anything. he has to do it all own his own per the sub-contract agreement he will be responsible for his own taxes and insurance.

g'luck

Reply to
Key

The couple times I took calls for another company, it was a 50/50 deal. I brought my own tools and such, and key blanks and so on. We used the other guy's reciepts, and it was "his call".

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I would suggest that it would depend on the exact nature of the arrangement. Will this man be an employee? If so the commission needs to reflect the fact that you will be withholding taxes. Probably something on the order of

20% on goods, and 30% on labor.

Night calls should be about 50% on the labor.

If he is going to be an independent contractor, then the percentages will be higher, but you don't pay workmen's comp, FICA or withhold Income Tax.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf