Need help cracking lock box system

This is a fine line now. Personally if a given end user owns the system in question and is breaking no laws by disabling a feature which is now being used against them by in this case Supra I would have no problem telling them how to defeat it, if I knew, provided I also knew all of the preceding to be true. I would explain to them (the end user) the extent to which disabling said feature would weaken their (the end users) security if in fact it would at all. If disabling the feature in question would render the system so weak as to be practically useless then I might have a problem with disseminating the information but if that were the case the whole point would likely be moot since the result to the end user would be essentially the same as scrapping the system and using nothing. That really isn't the case here though. I can think of many instances in which security is intentionally weakened for added convenience. It's done all the time.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

That hasn't been answered in this case to my satisfaction either. If anything he has said so far is to be believed it does seem that Supra is being somewhat underhanded in it's alteration of what was apparantly a standing arrangement for some time. The question is exactly what the agreement with Supra says. It could be that both parties are within the law but out of bounds ethically.

Well if he does then I would say yes, in the same situation, everyone else would also.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

I understand your feelings. You feel like a tenant at will who has been told to sign a new lease at a jacked-up rent. Would that be unethical in your business? Would it be unethical of the property owner?

David Ames

Reply to
David Ames

What does any of that have to do with real estate agents who are typically engaged in the business of selling real estate as opposed to property management companies who engage in the business of renting it? In any case the answer is no to both. Just as it would not be unethical for you to simply move if you don't want to pay the increase.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

The tenant analogy is not a good one (IMHO) as the tenant has no claim on the apartment (or anything) after the expiration of the lease. Here the MLS *owns* these boxes & keys, but they become useless without the software activation and the contract on that is about to run out. It's the renewal of this contract at a much higher price and for a very long required term that is the problem for the MLS. Yes, they have the choice not to renew and so not pay - but this leaves them without the use of the boxes/keys!

Unfortunately, they want to switch to a new product which isn't yet available - otherwise they would just walk away from Supra. As I see it from the information posted here, the MLS is caught between a rock and a hard place. If Supra is playing hardball ("sign up or do without") then they have to switch to something that is available *now*. (I wonder if Supra would cut them a better - lower price and shorter term - deal if they faxed them a PO made out to another company and said, "either give us a better deal or we order these"?)

Reply to
Henry E Schaffer

This guy is probably in the US so the DMCA is probably applicable, but remember that it si the exception, not the rule world-wide. It is a bad act and there is a good chance that much of it will be repealed over the next few years. Imagine if we created a Mechanical Millenium Copyright Act and made it illegal to reverse engineer or circumvent any mechanical security device.

I suspect that some of the the third party devices which are out to handle auto transponders also violate this law. I don't think a locksmith should support the DMCA. I think you will eventually regret it.

Stu

a long lasting solution. Without warning Supra now says they want to change the system and make us buy another at an exorbitant price. Supra is not giving us a choice. We just want to keep and use what we already paid for, what is already ours. Why do you think that's unethical? What Supra is doing is unethical.

local board of Realtors and I receive no pay what so ever. I posted this message in an attempt to find a solution to our problem. I have broken no laws. I guess if it were up to you, a lot of honest hard working people would be in jail.

Reply to
Stuart Friedman