Safe - very safe, apparently

If you really don't trust him to touch the box, reach an agreement with him that you won't pay him for the work he has already invested (and wated), let it go at that, and go hire someone whom you do trust to tackle it from scratch. This will cost you more than having him continue to try to deal with it, but you won't be second-guessing him (and yourself).

What's comfort worth to you?

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

actually you can make fun of god all you want and NOTHING will happen as a result.

Reply to
billb

---snip the ot comments---

kindly take your off-topic comments somewhere else... this is NOT the group for them.

Reply to
Key

somebody ELSE brought up the subject of god. and besides, Ng's have been a free for all since their inception, so relax.

Reply to
billb

NG's each have their own local culture which determines how much offtopic discussion folks will tolerate before they start killfiling people. This one's starting to push that boundary. Time to drop it if you want folks to answer your future posts.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

Which is now in good working order.

The locksmith came back this afternoon and pried around the edge of the door with a little bar, gave the door a couple of whacks with a hammer,then dialed the combination and "click!"

I thought I was never going to see that door open again.

He tells me that the problem was that the "finger" that contacts the metal fist that holds the door closed was slightly too long -- it was pressing against the lock too tightly and wouldn't allow the lock lever to drop and pull that metal fist back to release the door.

A bit of my lovely ASCII art may clarify this as I'm sure that I'm not using anything close to the correct terminology:

------------ | ------ |

------------ | finger fist

Anyway, after opening the door again (WHEW!) he ground that finger down about 1/8" and now everything is running smoothly.

I told him that I feel much better now; he said that's nothing to how much better he feels now.

Anyway, all's well that ends well, and it appears that everything is now working like it should be.

Thanks to everyone here for all of your help and advice! I have never met a nicer or more helpful lot anywhere on the Internet before, and I wish all of you the best. Thanks to you, I certainly know a lot more about locks than I ever did before.

Thanks again to one and all. I am very pleased to have had the opportunity to meet you all on the other side of the ol' computer screeen.

Reply to
innocent_lamb

(interesting nomenclature)

That'll do it! Cam pressure on the lock bolt... Hmmmm. We never thought of that! ('course we weren't _there_.) Makes sense though.

Told ya.

HOPE THE TROLLS HEARD THAT!!!! :)

Stop back and say "Hi" every now and then.

Tell you locksmith friend to give me a call anyway or email me. The SAVTA convention's coming up in March. Maybe he'd like to go. I figure, this incident has either peaked his interest in learning more or scared him so bad, he'll hang up on the next person that mentions the word "safe". ;)

Bobby

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

I knew you'd like that. *tee hee*

I just called him to tell him to call you. You should be hearing from him shortly.

Reply to
innocent_lamb

Actually, I did think of the pressure-on-boltwork issue, but didn't think to mention it; I assumed he'd already hauled out the dead-blow hammer and tried shaking things loose. You all know what "assume" means.

Well, that's the difference between someone asking a legitimate question and a bogus one. We *can* tell the difference, and that's exactly what the trolls are unhappy about. <smile/>

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

doesn't matter who brought it up. still off-topic.

as long as its on-topic for the group. do try and keep up...

pun intended

Reply to
Key

---snip---

glad ya have more confidence in your locksmith now..

Reply to
Key

I still don't think he should have slammed the door like that.

He's a nice fellow on a personal level. Very accommodating, very anxious to do a good job.

I think he's learned a valuable lesson from this. So, as I said, all's well that ends well. He's probably a better locksmith now than he was before, I have a working safe (finally), and I have had the opportunity to learn a lot more about a subject that I really knew nothing at all about before, i.e locks.

I am more more of a computer person, generally -- system integration, standardization and process control, custom programming, and the like. The subject of locks has never really entered my consciousness until now. It looks like a really fascinating subject, similar to programming in that it requires a bit of patience and a one step at a time approach.

You folks have really opened my eyes to a technology that I never really paid much attention to, until now.

So thanks once again. It's been a truly fascinating experience.

Reply to
innocent_lamb

that.

accommodating, very anxious

I said, all's

than he was

the opportunity to

nothing at all about

integration,

and the like.

consciousness until now.

programming in that

approach.

I never really

experience.

your welcome... I am sure both the locksmith and yourself have gotten something positive out of this exchange.

g'day to you & yours

Reply to
Key

killfiling

well, the reality is that YOU don't own this thing, nor have you been elected ruler, nor are you paid to police it.

further you speak ONLY for yourself not others, so I don't have any idea what you mean by *folks* in the above quote.

now, if you are trying to say that a man that sneers at organized religion, and lets that fact be known, shouldn't hope to get help with his lock questions here, well, sorry, but I beg to differ. Lots of people knowledgeable in lock work don't give a shit about religion. They know a scam when they see it and simply turn a blind eye to it.

You see, deeply religious people have zero capacity for thought (memory maybe, but thought, no), that being the case, there is scant chance they will be of any assistance anyway.

Now, I respect that you have posted here for a long time. But there again, there is no credit or title to be awarded to you or anyone else as a result of that fact.

As for "kill files", hey, bring'em on, yclept.

As far as god, well nobody knows. Personally I believe in ALL religions, past, present and future, that way, I'm covered. I just don't give them any time or money. I have read several books of the bible if that makes you feel any better. But comparing contemporary religion to CERTAIN parts of the bible is like comparing rap music to Liszt. Apples and tarbabies wouldn't you say?

Reply to
billb

I don't recall anybody bringing Him up in this thread (unless he's referring to my (and Stormin's) sig files.

I have a new one BTW (or is that off topic) :o

Bobby

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

AMEN!!!!

He called me today. Seems like a very nice guy and was very receptive to the suggestions I made regarding education and certain (rather expensive) books to buy if he wants to seriously start doing safe work. I also suggested Clearstar which he seemed interested in joining.

He's supposed to email me and I'm going to give him a bunch of links that will help him on his way. He's a good guy who had some bad luck, learned a very valuable lesson, and *most importantly* he stuck it out where many in his shoes would have "forgotten how to answer the phone".

I call it bad luck because I don't even consider it a "mistake" any more. He probably did try the lock several times first and it was working find (with the door open). The problem wouldn't have occurred until he actually closed the door and locked it up. So what lesson did he learn, you ask. Besides the one about bolt pressure, he persevered, and found the information he needed to solve his customer's (and his) problem. That's called doing the right thing.

The man has ethics. My hat's off to him!

Bobby

Reply to
Bob DeWeese, CML

YEA.. mine too..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Cost to open will considerably exceed cost of a 6730 and installation. The "locksmith" is lucky if he just gets to walk away from it.

He owes the difference between the original bill IF the lock was even installed correctly and IF the lock is any good to start with and the cost to have it opened. Either way the locksmith will be in the red on it.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

Interference fit a hardened steel plug ideally welded in place ground down and cosmetically finished and painted.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

If he couldn't even install a lock without creating a lockout the chances he will get it open without major damage are slim and none.

If

At least it was OPEN.

When they fail imediately after installation it's on the installer.

and that

Not imediately after they are installed.

Are you NUTS? The safe was OPEN and missing a relatively cheap lock. Big deal. Now it's locked quite possibly with a defective lock.

All he needs to do it open it and repair the lock, if you feel

Wrong. Find out the repair cost first then if you do anything sue for the difference because it WILL be higher than the installation cost.

He did it WRONG.

Doesn't much matter. It failed imediately after the so called locksmith installed it so it's on him.

Shit frequently happens in safe work when some idiot closes and locks the door before trying out the lock with the door open.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere