Sargent 6 line

I got a call to an office, today. They had 9 lockset on the offices, all Sargent 6-line. They had lost the key, and would like another key made. believed to be keyed alike.

They did finally find a key, and so it was just a case of make three dups. But how to go about it?

The 6-line is a 6-pin, sargent cylinder with LA keyway. Miserable to pick.

Can I dissemble them like the old Schlage A-53?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

man, I feel for ya,, LUCKY they found a key.. no clues as to disassemble.. sorry. but, the FEW Sargents I have done (older) has to be the MOST unique method of locking a knob on.. (snap ring pliers required) after you get one half off..

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Check the Sargent website and download some of the technical specs...

A lot of the downloadable files have exploded parts views...

Evan, ~~formerly a maintenance man, now a college student

Reply to
Evan

I remember, those were the 8-line. You had to loosen the trim (which was screwed on) and depress a little wire which was supposed to depress a little moon shaped piece that held the knob on.

Some of them you had to drive in a roll pin with a pin punch, and that allowed you to unscrew the halves of the knob. And some had the Truarc ring.

The 6-line, the knob comes off just like a Schlage A-53. I rembember that much.

I worked on a Sargent 8-line one time that had been on a pole barn for ages. I ended up taking it off with a hammer and cold chisel.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Christopher,

I have never had to disassemble a 6 line, but after looking at:

I think it would be a definite maybe. Since this is Sargent's clone of the Schlage A lock I suspect that the guts are similar. It kind of depends on what you see when you remove the inner spindle. Since Sargent does not have a pin and threaded cap like Schlage, you might have to see if you could get enough wiggle on the Tail piece after the cam is removed to allow the retainer to be depressed or perhaps you can get a wire squirmed inside to release the retainer holding the tail piece on. Another thing to try would be to grab the tail piece with needle nose and give it a little rock and wiggle to see if you could coax the tail piece off.

I am pretty sure you can. Or you can just pick the bugger.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Sargent 6 is identical to Arrow M series. The plug diamater is slightly smaller, but both knobs are made in the same factory. If you can take apart an Arrow M--BD, the 6 is the same.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

If you have the book by TNL "Door Lock Encyclopedia" It has Sarget 6, 7, and 8 Line in there... Great book by the way.

Mike C

Reply to
nospam

I think Sargent is phasing out the six line. I'm glad. You didn't specifiy if it was 6-line knobs or levers. 6-line knobs are very similar to Schalge A series knobs. Sargent 6 line levers are junk in my opinion. And when the go bad, you can't buy parts. What's up with that?

Anyway, the levers are of such sloppy tolerances, that one can push extra hard or beat on the retainer a little and it will depress enough to pull the lever off. Not the best option, but a possibility.

Bob

Reply to
Bob B.