Bozo alert to professors: Metallurgy term paper sold on eBay

Yesterday on eBay somebody actually paid $125 for a metallurgy term paper titled "AISI 4142 Steel for Automotive Crankshaft". It was
advertised as having obtained a grade of B+ in 2002 from Prof. Robert Baren (Temple U.?) The listing indicated that all journal and literature search material was included. The listing actually was for a sale at $0.25 (to lower eBay's charge?) with shipping and handling of $99.75 and shipping insurance (required) of $24.95.
I assume the buyer intends to fraudulently pass this recycled work off as his own. When I went to school about thirty years ago we actually did the work we turned in, but that was western Pennsylvania. Any comments?
Pittsburgh Pete ----------------- We don't believe what we write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for topical (external) use only. This information may not be worth any more than either a groundhog turd, or what you paid for it (nothing). The author may not even have been either sane or sober when he wrote it down. Don't worry, be happy.
Pittsburgh Pete wrote:

Here is the link to the completed item on eBay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item589015620&category !700
Cut and paste if too long,...
or search for "metallurgy" (on eBay.com) and look in the completed items for "Metallurgy Paper, AISI 4142 crankshaft alloy".
Cheating is getting so popular that it soon may be required, not just optional.
Jim
And the American public is appalled that Tech jobs are being off-shored.
Maybe students in foreign countries have a work ethic and perform their own research work.
But then again, these students might be future MBA'rs. Why bother learning how to do something technical. Get the technical undergrad (sans scientific work), follow it up with a MBA and send the Tech jobs off-shore assuming that other Tech grads in this country did the same as you.
Money talk$, Bull$hit walks.
Sorry folks, I might be disparaging a future metallurgist of the American auto industry.
-al

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Pittsburgh Pete) wrote:

This sort of thing has always disgusted me. Cheating was common amongst the fraternity crowd at RPI (graduate school). A couple of the courses I took were offered under a different number to undergraduates. It's always fun getting a 98 on an exam then finding out the class average was 98 because 10 of the 12 people in the class had all the exams (the professor of this particular course gave the same exams and homework assignments every other year).
It was probably the same at Clarkson, the undergraduate school I attended, but I was a bit more idealistic then and it didn't really occur to me that cheating might be an "institution".